Shopping via Unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Shopping via Unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Cam Morin via Unsplash
Style > Fashion

My Summer Wardrobe Essentials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

As someone who loves summer fashion, here are some of my favorite pieces at the moment:

A White Sneaker: Converse Chuck Taylor High-Top Platform Sneaker in White

White sneakers are a wardrobe staple, and these are my favorite right now! I love the high-top and platform look, especially for someone who is 5’3. I got these for my birthday this past spring and have worn them a lot. My only complaint is that the laces fray easily since the laces are thinner than other Converse styles.

A Good Sandal: Birkenstock Arizona Birko-Flor in Black

Birkenstocks are such good quality! The shoe molds to your feet after ~30 days of wear. These sandals are very cute and are more supportive than the average sandal.

Running / Workout Shoes: Hoka Clifton 8 in Blanc-de-Blanc/White

These are my go-to sneakers. Hoka’s are not as narrow as Nike running shoes, for example, so my feet feel much more comfortable. The Clifton 8 is a moderate supportive shoe that is good for working out or running in.

Jean Shorts: Levi’s 501 Original High Rise Women’s Shorts in Luxor Baked

Levi’s have to be the best quality jeans I have owned. They frequently have sales, so try to get them then to save some money!

Sweat Shorts: Abercrombie Dolphin-Hem Fleece Shorts

These are my go-to comfy but cute shorts. They’re simple high-rise sweat shorts, but when paired with a crop top, it can be a cute outfit! As mentioned above with Levi’s, try to catch them when they’re on sale. Abercrombie frequently has sales and coupon codes typically work; I use the browser extension Honey. 

Biker Shorts: Lululemon Align High-Rise Short 6” 

Admittedly, these are more of a splurge purchase for the biker short look. However, they are of very good quality and I have no complaints. I have gotten plenty of use out of these shorts. Other places to get biker shorts could be Athleta or Aerie. 

A White Summer Dress: Target Women’s Sleeveless Tiered Babydoll Dress in White

A summer wardrobe doesn’t feel complete without a white flowy dress. 

Colorful Skirts: Target Women’s Tiered Mini Skirt – Wild Fable™ in Blue Floral

One of my favorite skirts right now; it’s flouncy and I love the colors and pattern.

Simple Cropped Tank Tops: Free People Hayley Racerback Brami in Gray and White

I randomly started buying these at a boutique and they turned out to be my go-to tank tops. The material is thick enough that it is not see-through. These pair well with shorts or skirts for almost any occasion! My only complaint is that I wish they had more colors!

Elizabeth Cordill is a senior at Michigan State University studying Neuroscience with a concentration in Behavior and Systems. Upon graduation, she hopes to work during gap year(s) prior to pursuing medical school. A wide variety of specialties interest her: from OB/GYN, neurology, and pediatrics, just to name a few. Elizabeth is passionate about improving patient care, an interest she has furthered with research involvement on campus. On campus she is currently involved with epidemiology research in gynecological health. Outside of being a writer and member of the design team for Her Campus MSU, she enjoys spending time with friends, cooking, scrolling on Pinterest, spending time outside, working out, working with kids, and traveling. She has loved writing since taking Writing as Inquiry (WRA101) here at MSU. She hopes to gain more experience through Her Campus!