The Lalagirl Looking Through Books
The Lalagirl Looking Through Books
Her Campus Media

My Favorite Places on the MSU Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

With many of my semesters derailed by the COVID-19 pandemic, I certainly have missed out on some of the defining experiences of being a student at MSU. Nevertheless, I have been hanging around this campus long enough to pick out my favorite spots on campus to grab some food or just chill for a bit. Before I graduate in the spring, I want to take a look back at the best moments I’ve had during college. With that being said, here are my five favorite places on campus.

1. Barrio

This restaurant is easy to miss. Situated behind the hubbub of Grand River, Barrio is a great place to meet up with friends and have a fun night out. The food is amazing and the atmosphere is energetic. I fell in love with this place the minute I walked through the door, and I haven’t looked back since. I highly recommend everyone try Barrio if they are looking for something new.

2. Wharton Center

Okay, I’ll admit I am a little biased because I have been working here for the past three years, but I saw my first show at the Wharton Center when I was in high school, well before I came to MSU and got a job here. In fact, seeing the shows here was the reason I applied for the job in the first place. I love everything about the arts, so I will never pass up the opportunity to watch a show. There is so much passion and love at Wharton, which is why it is undeniably the most exciting place to be during a show night. I will remember the times I spent in Wharton long after I graduate.

3. Udon Sushi and Ramen

This cozy little restaurant fell into my lap freshman year. My roommate and I were looking for a place to eat, barely situated in our dorm and eager to get out and explore. Udon is littered with random objects, from shake weights to pictures of people kissing. We thought it was absolutely ridiculous, and yet we continued to go there. The employees are lovely, and the food is delicious. This restaurant is the definition of a comfort spot and will forever be one of the places I will miss the most.

4. MSU Dairy Store

I can never say no to ice cream, so the MSU Dairy Store is the perfect way to end a long day of classes. Located inside of Anthony Hall, the Dairy Store has some of the tastiest ice cream flavors I have ever tried. My personal favorite is the Spartan Swirl. Nothing beats a scoop of Dairy Store ice cream on a warm day!

5. Curious Book Shop

I am completely obsessed with this tiny bookstore. Curious Book Shop is right on Grand River, but with all the restaurants and clothing stores in that area it is practically invisible. I found this store my freshman year, and I love that I can find something new every time I go. This bookstore has a huge collection of old and new books, as well as collectible antiques. From comic books to autobiographies, you won’t be disappointed with Curious Book Shop.

MSU is full of little surprises that are always exciting to seek out. There are so many different places to go and things to do on and near campus. There is never a dull moment in East Lansing. Go forth and explore!

Saanya Advani is a senior at Michigan State University studying Criminal Justice with a minor in Women's and Gender Studies. Her passions include music, a good bowl of noodles, and protesting unjust institutional systems.