This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

As soon as the leaves start to change, this is the media I come back to when curating my perfect fall girl vibe.

Movies and TV Shows

“Fantastic Mr. Fox”

“Fantastic Mr. Fox” is a 2009 Wes Anderson Stop Motion animation film about a fox who is struggling to balance his animalistic instincts with his family duties. This year I rewatched this movie for the first time since I was very young and immediately bought it. Something about the yellow coloring/tinting, the adorable dated outfits, folky soundtrack–and of course, cute animals–gives this film a very cozy cottage core vibe. This is a movie I am going to watch again before the season is over and anyone who has not seen it is in the perfect season to watch. 

“Gilmore Girls”

“Gilmore Girls” is a classic piece of fall girl media. This early 2000s series follows a single mother and her daughter, Rory, who live in a vintage historical town in Connecticut–a perfect fall wonderland. It has themes of academia as Rory goes to a competitive high school and goes on to an ivy league college. A bonus for girls who love to write: she works in her school’s newspaper. It’s the perfect show for an autumn day avoiding your own homework.My favorite seasons are season two, three, and four.

“Scream”

I know this is a very unoriginal list. However, If you want to fulfill all the fall requirements, you must watch Wes Craven’s “Scream” (1996.) It is a classic with suspense and an actually pretty surprising twist. It’s a movie that simultaneously makes fun of slashers and their tropes, while being the best slasher ever with its own tropes. This film also has Matthew Lilard, Drew Barrymore, Skeet Ulrich, and 90’s fashion, so It’s a must see every Halloween season.

“American Horror Story”

Many of us in college right now fell victim to a fixation with “American Horror Story” in middle school. This show, created by Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk, is the perfect horror television series. It has eleven seasons since airing in 2011 and they all have different plotlines, time periods, and characters. They are all interconnected and have returning cast members in many seasons. The reason this is the perfect horror series is because of the variety within the series itself, there’s no need to try something else after a season because they are all so different, yet every one of them has a super layered story. My favorite seasons are Asylum (two), Murder House (one), and Hotel (five.)

Albums

“Atlanta Millionaires Club– Faye Webster

Whenever I listen to this album I feel like a lonesome cowgirl, mindlessly riding into the sunset–until I remember I am literally just walking to class in 2023. This folk-pop album came out in 2019, when Webster was only 21 years old, but her lyrics make me think she could teach me the secrets to love. Her country adjacent musicality with her angelic soft toned voice, is beyond different to most modern sounds and is beyond soothing. Everyone needs to listen to this album in the fall to really encompass their sad cowgirl headcanon. My favorite Songs are “Room Temperature,” “Jonny,” “Come to Atlanta,” and “Pigeon.”

“One Of These Nights” – The Eagles

The Eagles were a band my mom played a lot of growing up, so this 1975 rock album definitely gives me feelings of nostalgia. It is a classic album you have heard, or at least its title song, but now is the perfect time to give it a listen in full, to curate that jazzy witchy feeling. My favorite songs are “One Of These Nights,” “Lyin’ Eyes,” “Too Many Hands,” and “After The Thrill Is Gone.”

“Jar Of Flies” – Alice In Chains 

Everyone likes grunge rock. Everyone feels angsty in the fall. Another piece of media you did not need me to recommend or bring to the spotlight, but it is a sacred piece of media this time of year for me. This album is walking to class in clunky shoes, crunching leaves, and feeling misunderstood. My favorite Songs are “Rotten Apples,” “No Excuses,” “Whale & Wasp,” and “Don’t Follow.”

“Antarctica” – waveform*

I saw a TikTok suggesting artists you may like if you like Alex G. I listened to some of their stuff and really liked their newest album that just came out in May, “Antarctica.” Like Alex G, it has ambient beats and a unique voice, as well as being influenced by indie rock. It is extremely calming and new to me which makes it something I can and have been listening to frequently leading into these fall months. My favorite Songs are “Ocean,” “Firework,” “In My Drink,” and “Freak Me Out.”

In order to have a successful autumn season this year you should consume as much fall treats and media as possible. These are shows, movies, and albums that I have circled back to time and time again, but are always revived in the special season of fall and have truly optimized it for me.

Tait is a first-year student at Michigan State University. This is her second semester as an HC chapter member. Tait is a psychology major who has always been passionate about the subject. She also loves to read and write, she was in her high school literature club, which inspired her to join HC. When she is not reading or studying, Tait enjoys playing sports like soccer and field hockey. She loves to be with her friends and is always consuming copious amounts of media.