My Favorite Christmas Activities

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Christmas is my favorite time of the year. I love spending time with my friends and family, and getting to relax after a busy semester of classes and schoolwork. The winter season itself is beautiful, and there are so many fun things to do around this time of year. Here are my top three favorite activities to do during Christmas time.

Looking at Christmas lights

As basic as this may seem, Christmas lights are my favorite things to see around this time of year. It gives cities and neighborhoods a little extra warmth and happiness to the dreary cold. I personally love going to Downtown Rochester, since they drape the buildings in beautiful displays of lighting, and they have cute shops and eateries to explore as well. The Detroit Zoo also does a beautiful and fun walkthrough of their Christmas lights display, which can make for a fun date with someone. Even driving through neighborhoods and looking at people’s house decorations is a fun and cozy experience!

Baking Christmas cookies

This activity has been a long tradition in my family, and I always look forward to it every year! My mom and I gather at my grandma’s house, and we spend the entire day baking different cookies from scratch. From peanut butter kisses to simple sugar cookies, there are so many different recipes to choose from. Even if you are a novice baker, cookie baking is a warm and yummy activity to enjoy with friends and family. I definitely look forward to going home and spending quality time with my family while baking cookies. 

Christmas shopping

Shopping is already one of my favorite things to do any time of the year, but Christmas makes it extra special. I love surprising my friends and family with gifts that I have carefully picked out, plus the deals can’t be beat! It was so comforting going out shopping this year and seeing hundreds of other people doing the same thing. Gift giving is one of my love languages, so I always enjoy this activity the most. You can also find some cute things for yourself as well! The hustle and bustle of it all is a big reason why I love going out to the shops this time of year.

While there are many Christmas traditions and activities to do wherever you may live, these are my favorite ones that can be done anywhere with anyone! This time of year is so special to me, and I hope that I can continue these traditions with my own family in the future.

Meghan Hingst is a junior at MSU studying Elementary Education with a minor in Korean. She loves skincare, makeup, hair care, and following the latest trends!