My experience of traveling home as an out-of-state student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Everyone gets excited for breaks, but I get especially excited because I can finally go home. Since I am an out-of-state student, I don’t get to go home often to see my family. I have only gone home once so far, and that was for Thanksgiving. This was my travel experience.

On the morning of my flight, I woke up at 6:30am to get ready and start walking to the bus. Even though my flight was at 4pm, and the bus takes two hours to get to the airport, my parents wanted to make sure I made my flight. When I got there, TSA was really quick, and everyone was nice, which was refreshing from Houston airports. As soon as I got there, I had to get some food. There wasn’t as much food as there is in the Houston airport, so I just got Chick-fil-a. Once we boarded the plane, I was so glad to see that I had a window seat. Once I got settled, I went straight to sleep. I awoke with 2 hours left, but those 2 hours felt like the longest 2 hours ever, since my legs were hurting, and I was dehydrated. After we landed, the rest was easier because I had been at the airport and knew how to find my parents. It was so refreshing going home for the break. I got to hang out with all my friends and spend time with my family. It was so relaxing to be in my home with my dogs and relax . 

As it got closer to my return to school, I felt sad because I missed being home, but I also really like doing my own thing. The day of my flight home, when I walked over to TSA, the line was so long. It took almost an hour to get through. Because of the long wait, I was unable to eat food before my flight. . This flight felt shorter than the last one and was way smoother. I took the same bus back to school. It had just snowed before I came back, and it was so cold, but I didn’t have any winter stuff on, so I just suffered. 

Overall, it was so great to go home. I am grateful that I was able to come home because I know some students couldn’t go home for thanksgiving break or even winter break. From my experience, I think that as an out-of-state student, not going home as much allows me to really appreciate home whenever I come back, which makes the trips even sweeter. 

Dominique pouncy is a freshman at Michigan state university originally from Houston Tx. She is currently studying animal science on the pre-vet track. Her plan is to graduate and go to veterinary school. Then become a wildlife veterinarian and travel around the world and maybe even write about it. In high school she earned her veterinary assistant certification. She earned this by working every morning at a veterinary clinic. She has been playing lacrosse since her sophomore year of high school and now is playing for the Michigan state club lacrosse team. Even though she is mainly focusing on lacrosse she loves to play all types of sports especially soccer. Dominique also loves to try all types of new things; it is her favorite activity. She is also very adventurous and love the outdoors. She loves to go backpacking, kayaking and camping. Currently she is also trying to learn ASL. In her free time, she loves to read all types of books, listening to music, and watching movies. She especially loves Taylor swift and Drake. She is the oldest to 1 younger brother. She also has 2 huskies at home named Luna and kylo. She is currently in the swift, PVMA, leader dog, zoology club.