This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Although I’m in my junior year, I am a first-semester transfer student at Michigan State University. When I decided to transfer, I didn’t realize the challenges I would be encountering along the way. Here is a list of some of the many obstacles I’ve faced as a transfer student.

Making New Friends

By the time junior year rolls around, most college students have a stable group of friends. However, as a transfer student, things aren’t so easy. It’s hard to make friends in upper-level courses, especially when you don’t know anyone from previous courses. Not to mention, everyone has already established their friend groups and it can be intimidating to introduce yourself to a group of people who already know each other.

Not Understanding Inside Jokes

Another major issue is not understanding any of the niche jokes about campus. When I first came to East Lansing, I thought the burning couch jokes were just that: a joke. I soon came to realize that couches were physically burned here. There are so many similar jokes to this – that I did not understand and felt excluded from.

Feeling like a Freshman Again

In a nutshell, being a transfer student feels like being a freshman all over again. Freshman college students are typically disoriented on campus with no idea what to expect. There are also extracurricular activities and events that I’m constantly learning about. More than that, freshman year is all about finding a balance between academics and extracurriculars. 

An Overall Sense of Uncertainty

The past three points have already touched on this but, being a transfer student involves a lot of uncertainty. Being in a new environment and a new school is definitely not for the faint of heart. There are a lot of school-specific things that have to be relearned such as enrollment, exam processes, extracurriculars, etc.

While all of the mentioned points seem to have a negative connotation, being a transfer student isn’t all that bad. I decided to transfer because my previous college wasn’t a good fit for me. Within the past semester alone, I have been so much happier with my decision to transfer. Whether it be my newfound friends or my interest in academics, I have truly found a home at Michigan State University.

A junior at MSU, majoring in human biology and minoring in business!