This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Roe v Wade is likely to be overturned this summer, which will cause abortion to become illegal in Michigan overnight. To be brutally honest, many, many people are going to die. This is not a light matter, and it is literally life or death for people who can become pregnant.

There is an old law in Michigan from 1931 that would be reinstated after Roe v Wade. The only reason it is not in effect right now is because of the Roe v Wade standing. The law criminalizes abortion and threatens those who provide safe abortions with up to 15 years in prison. This law threatens all decisions in regard to pregnancy and bodily autonomy, including, but not limited to: prenatal care, childbirth, birth control, and abortion. People who can be pregnant, and their doctors, can be punished for miscarriage, stillbirth, abortion, etc.

The ACLU of Michigan, Planned Parenthood of Michigan, Reproductive Freedom for All, and Michigan Voices have come together with a ballot initiative that will change the Michigan constitution.

So, what needs to happen?

First, we need over half a million signatures by July 11. If you are a Michigan resident, please sign. If you are on the fence, you have until November to decide if you want to vote for it; this would allow everyone to be able to decide – not just you or legislators. 

Then, in November, you will be able to vote on access to basic, reproductive health care. It will be on the ballot along with the primaries (which you should already be voting for, but even if you choose not to, this should be your reason to go out and vote!) for the 2024 presidential election, as well as state and local elections.

After that… well, that’s it. Once we have at least 51% of the votes saying “yes”, the amendment to the state constitution is there, and we are able to bypass legislators that could reject it (and we avoid what anti-choicers and pro-birthers have tried to do in the past).

There are many TRAP laws in place throughout the country if, heaven forbid, things go south with the Supreme Court decision this summer. Either way, there are already many other bans and restrictions that make it very hard to understand your choices or to use those choices. Fake clinics are in place throughout the country to scare and threaten those that are seeking help in their most vulnerable state, and the real clinics are given a million different guidelines to follow or they are unable to provide safe and legal abortions.

Abortion will not go away. It has not in the past, and it did not start with Roe v Wade. If abortion becomes illegal, it will not disappear. People will die. “Backalley” and “at-home” abortions will become commonplace again, and the poor will be forced to use those methods rather than be imprisioned or forced to have a traumatic pregnancy and birth. The rich will find ways to travel to safe abortions as they have always done and are currently doing in places like Texas, Mississippi, Oklahoma, etc. 

Being pro-choice is not forcing every pregnant person into an abortion – that’s “pro-life” people that force everyone that is pregnant to continue and birth with no regard for the actual pregnant person or the child after they are born. Pro-choice is allowing those that can be pregnant to decide what happens to them in a decision that will affect the rest of their lives. These legislators and justices are attempting to take matters into their own hands to force others to do what THEY want based on THEIR beliefs. This is not about the pregnancy or the pregnant person; this is about control and power. I could explain and talk about this topic for days, but (for now) it is VITAL that you sign the petition ASAP and vote for it in November if you are a Michigan resident!

Here are some links to read more about the ballot initiative!

Keep an eye on the @ppga_msu instagram for information regarding different trainings to collect signatures and for when and where to sign!

https://www.aclumich.org/en/press-releases/ballot-proposal-protect-reproductive-freedom-michigan-filed-reproductive-freedom-all 

https://www.michiganradio.org/politics-government/2022-03-08/reproductive-rights-coalition-launches-petition-drive-for-abortion-access-ballot-proposal

Kattiah Richardson (she/they) is currently a student at Michigan State University double majoring in both English and Women's and Gender Studies with a double minor in Jewish Studies and in LGBTQ+ and Sexuality Studies with the hopes of becoming a professor. They are a part of many student organizations on campus: Planned Parenthood Generation Action (President), We are Queens (Vice President), Spartans for Israel (Liberal Outreach Chair), and, of course, Her Campus MSU (Staff Writer and Editor)! Kattiah is also a Campus Trendsetter through Her Campus and a Resident Assistant at their campus. Aside from university-related activities, they love learning more about their faith in Judaism, activism, reading, writing, dancing, babysitting, spending time with family, and (badly) singing!