Let’s Talk About Morning Routines

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

There are many people on social media who constantly post about their one hour morning routines:their seemingly perfect start to the day that we feel we must replicate. Trust me, I’ve been there. I have tried to copy what my favorite tik-toker does every morning, in the exact order they do it in. From journaling, to meditating, to exercising ┄ my morning routine started taking over an hour to complete, not including the workout. It felt like I was overthinking my habits which should be natural to me.

From this experience, and all the experiences I have had trying to form the perfect morning routine, I have realized that simply cannot copy what someone else does. Just because their routine works for them, that doesn’t necessarily mean it will work for me. While morning routines are essential, you need to remember that if it is forced, it is not actually doing anything to help you. 

Morning routines help create balance in your day and start the day off right. These little achievements help build productivity throughout the day. Here are some basic tips you can use and cater to yourself in order to create YOUR perfect morning routine. 

The first thing you need to think about is what you do: if you are in school, you have work, or what your daily schedule is, you might have different routine schedules. I recommend waking up at least 1 hour before you have to head out the door. In this time, do activities that will help get your day started. Some things that I personally like to do are: plan my day, nourish my body, and get ready for the day. 

The first thing I do every morning is make my bed. Next, I sit down with my planner, figure out what my day is going to look like, what things I need to get done, what meals I am going to make, and plan my day hour by hour. I find that this helps me stay focused and reduces my anxiety. While I do this, I drink lots of water to flush out all the toxins in my body before putting more food in it. After this, I like to make myself a filling breakfast. I usually take my time to do this, decorating my plate and eating slowly. This probably takes up the bulk of my morning routine. Lastly, I get ready for the day. Sometimes this means staying in pajamas and sometimes this means putting on real clothes. Whatever the case, my morning routine is always flexible and I let myself slack sometimes.

I highly recommend you create your own morning routine. Whether it is only a 15 minute routine or an hour long one, make a routine that works for you. This will probably take a while to figure out for yourself, but doing something consistently every morning will make your days extremely productive and will make you excited about getting your day started.

My name is Esha Garg! I am a freshman at MSU studying nutritional sciences and am on a pre-medical field. In my free time, I love writing, doing yoga, and playing tennis.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.