Life > Experiences

Leaving my teens for my 20s

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

I grew up spending my birthday candle wishes on getting older. At age eight I blew out the candles just wishing I could be 13 already. When I turned 13 I still didn’t feel old enough and just dreamed of being 16. But now that I am freshly 20, I just miss being a teenage girl.

I know it sounds silly, because really the only difference between me being 19 and me being 20 is a few short seconds. It just means I have lived a little longer, nothing really has to change. However, I internally feel like everything has slightly shifted. I can’t help but think about the abundance of things I will be experiencing in my 20s. 

My 20s bring an entire new era of life, as monumental things are set to happen in my near future. Graduating college, getting married, having kids; it just seems like so much. I get severely overwhelmed when I think about all there is in front of me. I just yearn for that teenager title to come back. Being a teen seems so much less nerve wracking than being 20. 

However, I have spent my whole life just anxious to get older. I am always wondering what’s next and am excited for what’s ahead. Starting my 20s really feels like a new era for opportunity, and a fresh start that holds so much potential for me. With this new potential comes new goals. As I enter this new chapter, I’ve decided to set three of my biggest goals for my 20s.

1. Graduate college with at least a 3.5 GPA

Grades have always been extremely important to me. I spent my k-12 years eager to see each report card, and make my family (and myself) proud. This continues to be a huge responsibility of mine and a standard I set really high for myself, which is why I’m aiming for a 3.5 GPA come my graduation from MSU.

2. Move to a new city

Moving to a new place away from home has always been a huge goal of mine. From a very young age, I was pretty confident that I was not going to stay in my hometown my entire life. I have always seen bigger and better things for myself and I think I can accomplish more in a bigger city, which is why this is one of my biggest goals for the near future.

3. Find a job I truly love

I have never seen myself having a super conventional career. I’ve always known I wasn’t going to work a desk job from 9-5 for my entire adulthood. As I grow in my 20s, I want to find a career I truly love and am passionate about. 

I am so excited for my 20s. Although it seems scary, and like time is flying so fast, I feel eager to jump headfirst into a new beginning. 

Mya is currently a 19 year old sophomore at MSU majoring in Communication. She loves to read, write, and listen to music. She aspires to one day become a publicist for a major music company. She is just beginning her first year with HerCampus and is super eager to be involved in the chapter. Mya's particular writing interest involve writing a lot about current media, music, and and important issues going on within society. She specifically loves to talk about anything Taylor Swift related, so that tends to be a common theme in her work. To follow Mya on social media you can follow her instagram @mya.barr