This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

My K-drama journey stems back to middle school and earlier. I remember being introduced to them by my cousin who had been an avid lover of anime and K-drama. This was the time when K-drama and K-pop were not mainstream and globally recognized, except for the commonly recognized song “Gangnam Style.” I remember not speaking much of it when I started because at that time it was not considered acceptable or “cool,” and since it fulfilled all my hopeless romantic desires I have never stopped since. Through the multiple years of binge-watching these shows, I have combined a list of must-watch K-dramas that you NEED to watch, especially if you are just beginning.

1. What’s Wrong with Secretary Kim

I think I have rewatched this one over like ten times at this point and it never fails to make me blush. While it is the typical CEO boss and secretary love story. It will make you blush, scream, cry, love, and get butterflies in literally every episode. This is perfect for the typical hopeless romantic’s dream!

1. Start-up

This one is a less typical cheesy K-drama and has a super fun story. Don’t worry though, you will definitely get butterflies. I absolutely loved the character placements for this show and the main lead actor is one of my favorites!

1. Extraordinary You

This by far has the most UNIQUE story that is less of a typical cheesy romance. At first it’s hard to understand, but the plot becomes more interesting the more you watch. The characters in this K-drama are in high school and so it’s so much easier to relate with a younger audience. Definitely a must if you want butterflies and an interesting story. 

1. True Beauty

I love this one. This K-drama is based on a famous webtoon and trust me you will love it, especially for the makeup lovers out there. The story is based on high-school students so it will make you dream away. Plus, the two main male characters are super charming and have some competition. Are you going to be team SuHo or team SeoJoon?

1. Crash Landing On You 

THE MAIN LEADS JUST GOT MARRIED IN REAL LIFE. It’s so much better to watch a K-drama when you know the love is real. This show is such a fun watch. It not only is filled with romance, but has an interesting plot between North and South Korea. However, it does romanticize a not so romantic situation in real life. Regardless, the show is a light-hearted romance that will make your heart flutter. Additionally, the casting for this show was perfect and I truly think the supporting role made the show just that much better. You will get laughs while you watch and be prepared for the supporting roles to capture your heart!

1. Goblin

The soundtrack in this drama is to die for! Warning that you will cry a LOT for this one. But it is such a cute wholesome story that will keep you smiling. The bromance in this show is iconic! Trust me, the main lead actress’s character will make you feel youthful.

1. My First First Love

This show made my heart warm. It reminds you of the first time you felt love and is just such a cute wholesome story. This is such a GOOD drama and I believe it is super underrated. More people need to watch it! Plus, it is about college students, so if you are in college like me, you’re going to relate to this one! Definitely a must.

1. Waikiki 2 

I just had to include this one. It is so FUNNY! It is such a light-hearted fun K-drama that you will enjoy watching. Sometimes you just need a heart-warming friendship story that will make you laugh and remind you of your favorite memories. This is such a hidden gem!

1. Descendant of The Sun

This is a classic. I think every k-drama lover has watched this show. This is a more mature love story set in a war-zone country between a doctor and a special forces officer. Plus, this show has an amazing supporting role couple who make your heart flutter just as much as the main characters! Oh, not to mention, you will get to see some heart-warming bromance. FUN FACT: the main lead characters got married in real life after this show! Unfortunately, they are currently divorced, but rumor has it that they were caught hanging out again ;)

I hope you all get a chance to check these out and if you already have I definitely want to hear your thoughts!

Bhavya is the Head Director of Social Media for MSU's chapter of Her Campus. She is a junior majoring in Microbiology with a minor in Environment and Health/Bioethics. Her writing interests include: lifestyle, beauty, health, and wellness.