This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

I spend a lot of time doing things by myself. Some people may not agree with doing that or think that people should be more social, but I don’t think that is true. Every person is different. Some thrive on social interaction and some are drained by it. Doing things alone is completely okay, despite what society says about it.

I realized this when I started seeing people on social media talk about Emma Chamberlain’s latest YouTube videos. She does mostly all activities by herself, whether that be going to the beach or grocery shopping or just staying in her house. She went viral on social media with people saying that they “feel bad for her” or “how depressed she seems,” solely because she was spending more time alone.

This does not make any sense to me. Some people, including myself, simply enjoy spending time alone. In Emma’s newest podcast, she said that she likes spending time alone, and if she wanted to hangout with her close friends, she would. Just because people spend more time alone does not mean that they are suffering or feeling depressed.

Personally, I enjoy doing things on my own as it is more peaceful for me. I like to grocery shop solo, cook alone, and read by myself. Maybe I am just dramatic, but I personally find doing activities alone to be more mindful and meaningful.

What I am trying to say is that it is 100 percent okay to be alone, even in college. You should do whatever fills your soul and makes you feel, no matter what the “norms” are. If you don’t want to go tailgating at the big game, then don’t. Don’t do something that you don’t want to do just to make it seem like you’re social. It is okay to be alone.

MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.