This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

On the surface it seems that humans are at the peak of their relationship with technology. It appears that life is the best it’s ever been, because we have everything we could want or need to know in less than a second. Technology gives us access to information at all times, whether it be academic, social, fashion trends, breaking news, or the newest Will Smith scandal. If we are truthful with ourselves— like tears running down our face, staring in the mirror and contemplating our life’s decisions truthful— can we actually say our current relationship with technology makes our lives better?

I often think about my favorite shows, like Gilmore Girls, or movies, like Ten Things I Hate About You, and find that a common characteristic they share is their limited technology. It is not the super slow, dinosaur computer era, but also not far from it. Phones are flipping, voicemails are being listened to at home, and calls have no ID. The newspaper has relevant and groundbreaking information, along with the news on the television in the living room. Your friend calls you but your mom beats you to the wall, so next time you use the cordless phone to eavesdrop on her conversation with her sister. The boy in your last hour finally talks to you, but you have to wait another 24 hours to talk to him again. When you go to bed at night, the only thing you can read is the book on your nightstand or the journal you wrote in. These types of days are the days that I crave, and not just because I am entering my real adulthood.

I miss— and I feel like I can’t be the only one— the days where social media was not necessary for me to understand what was going on in the world. I crave to not feel like something is missing without my phone. And I wish I could say I think society will learn to have a healthy, balanced relationship with technology. However, it seems that we feel that faster is better, disregarding any consequences.

I wake up and I go on my phone. I have a morning coffee and I scroll through my phone. I take a shower and check my phone before and after. I get ready and watch netflix on my phone. I drive to class and listen to music on my phone. I sit in class and go on my phone. I walk out of class and either check my phone or call my mom. I drive home and again, listen to music on my phone. I make lunch and also again, watch netflix on my phone. In between breaks of doing homework on my laptop, I go on my phone. When I need a longer break from working, I scroll through my phone. I workout and listen to music while occasionally texting on my phone. At the end of the day, I lay in bed and go on my phone, sometimes for hours. All of that, and I know that I am not out of the norm. I may even be on the low end of the scale for screen time usage.

My phone and all it encompasses, touches every aspect of my life. Life in my bedroom, life in my bathroom, life in my kitchen, life in my living room, life out with my friends, and sometimes life with my significant other. Occasionally it can be fun, seeing a video of a cute dog or taking a picture that will last a lifetime. However, when you look around a room and see dusty books or faces lit up by phone screens, what do you really feel? When you watch a show or movie and see lives seemingly full of relationships and memories, do you feel a void that your phone distracts you from?

I know that I do, and I know that it is something I want to work on. It’s time to put my phone down, lift my face up, and fill my life with memories like the ones I envy in my favorite movies. If you’re like me, I hope you find the gumption to put your phone down too. And maybe someday we, fellow Her Campus members or anyone who wants to join, can all find the courage to take a step further. Maybe it looks like getting news information from an article instead of social media, or bringing back home phones and eavesdropping on conversations. Right now I know that it smells like a season of change, just in time for spring at Michigan State University.

So, call my home phone and tell me all about the memories you make. I can’t wait to hear about them.

Allie Horning is a new member of HCMSU, studying Interdisciplinary Studies in Social Science at Michigan State University. She was previously a part of Her Campus at Ole Miss. Moving forward, Allie is excited to be a part of Her Campus again and start writing!