I’m a Michigan Girl, and the Mitten is More Than Just My Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

If you were ever curious about the wonderful place that I call my home, I would just  simply hold up the palm of my hand and point to where I live.

If you ever wondered where I vacation, you definitely wouldn’t hear me say, The Hamptons… I’d probably tell you that I go up North a little ways where you can find adventurous camping, beautifully crafted nature sights and some of the best chocolate and peanut butter fudge that you have ever tasted. (Not kidding, it literally melts in your mouth.)

If you ever wondered what the city life is like for a Michigander, I’d tell you that there isn’t any other city that I’ve been to that has worked so hard on rebuilding itself. There has never been any other city that makes you feel as hopeful, determined and filled with strength as Detroit does. To the people of Michigan, it is more than just one of our major cities, it is a symbol of the ability to revive and recreate ourselves, and I have never felt a stronger spirit like that anywhere else.

I am from somewhere where we have always prided ourselves on being as hardworking as we are organic, between the beautiful lakes surround us on all sides and the amazing industries and agriculture that we have always supported and stood by. When you are from Michigan, you learn the importance of supporting both local and small businesses. You keep your neighbors strong on their feet and help one another when needed. Your community revolves around so much more than just its wellbeing. The kids that you played in the street with until the late nights of summer are more than just your friends, they become your family.

If you’re from the magnificent mitten, then some of your memories were probably created in some of the same places that mine have been. You’ve probably spent a whole day climbing up just one of the mountainous sand dunes at Sleeping Bear Dunes National Park. You probably watched one of your favorite up-and-coming bands sell out The Fillmore in Downtown Detroit. You probably took the 20-minute boat ride to Mackinac Island, where you couldn’t believe that cars weren’t allowed, and the Grand Hotel looked like a castle. Your memories probably span across so much of Michigan that each landmark and national park mean something different to you.

The state that we grow up in is never just a place to us; it is always representative of so much more than a location or set of coordinates. It is where all of our memories were born, and we forever hold special ties to it, no matter how far we venture away from our home. For the past 19 years, I wouldn’t have wanted to call anywhere else home, but my mitten.

A Freshman at Michigan State University. Enjoys 90's movies, rock alternative music, and reading books of all kinds. Apart of Gamma Phi Beta Sorority and studies Journalism. Can be found running around campus, eating heaps of food at the Caf, or cheering my Spartans on at Spartan Football Stadium!
Feminist | Editor | Lesbian