This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

The good news is that my senior year of college will be in person, as opposed to the mind-numbing Zoom university I’ve endured for the past year and a half. 

The bad news is that I have completely forgotten how to be a college student on campus. 

I’ll need to find directions around the enormous campus, plan meals in between classes, and not to mention attempt the small talk of trying to make new friends… Even though this is my last year at MSU, it feels like freshman year all over again!

It is more than unreasonable to pretend that the return to campus will be similar to how it was before the pandemic. Here are a few things to help you prepare for your return to campus!

COVID Considerations

Public safety feels like as good a place to start as any. If you aren’t vaccinated yet, girl, what are you waiting for!?

Furthermore, MSU will be requiring all staff, faculty, and students to be vaccinated by August 31. If you have any reservations about the vaccine, please trust the science. The vaccine has proven to be safe and effective, and it will help keep all of us safe throughout the school year. 

The last thing we want is for campus to close all over again, forcing us to return to our dreaded Zoom university. Please don’t ruin my senior year. Just get vaccinated. 

Even if you’re vaccinated, you will still need to wear a mask in indoor spaces. I recommend revamping your mask collection so you know you’ll always have one to wear. Plus, masks with cute designs can be styled with an outfit!

Process Your Emotions

Along with COVID safety precautions, you will also need to emotionally process the transition into campus life. I think a good place to start is to acknowledge all the ways life in a pandemic has been difficult. Some of us have lost dearly loved ones, including friends and family. Some of us have fallen into depression, addiction, and other mental illnesses. Some of us feel isolated by loneliness and suffer from social anxiety. 

Whatever post-quarantine situation you find yourself in, understand that it is normal. It may not be healthy or sustainable, but you have just survived a global disaster, so cut yourself some slack. You have struggled and chances are you may still be struggling.

Acknowledging your mental state can make the transition to in-person life a little easier. Journaling or investing in therapy can help you release your emotions and organize the negatives in your life.

Comfort Over All Else

One of the most daunting situations about being in public is the pressure to be presentable. Unfortunately, on our crustier looking days, we won’t be able to simply be unseen. We will have to show up and be SEEN. The horror!

If the pandemic has taught us anything, it’s that comfort is a priority above all else. For a brief moment we were freed from the impossible standard of perfection. We let go of shoving our bodies into jeans, bras, tights, heels etc. We gave up the false lashes, concealer, and perfectly styled hair. We existed in a state of being unseen and damn it was comfy!

I don’t see any reason why we should have to give comfort up as we re-enter society.

This year, dare to be lazy. It may be scary to stop giving a sh*t about your appearance, but remember, it isn’t your job to be pretty. You’re at MSU to get an education and be COMFORTABLE doing it. Re-evaluate your wardrobe to make sure you’re going to actually wear the attire in your closet.

Remember Your Passions – Or Find New Ones

It’s easy to focus on all the things that make us anxious to return to campus. Hell. I listed my own fears in the introduction of this article just to let them out of my mind! 

However, at the same time, there are so many wonderful things about being on campus to get excited for. Take this time to remember your passions around learning and all the great memories of campus life that you have been missing. Personally, I found virtual learning almost impossible, and it really dissuaded me from being interested in my studies. But in truth, I really do love learning. I love exploring new ideas, connecting with professors and students, and learning about peoples cultures from all around the world. 

That’s three things to look forward to, already negating my anxious introduction!

Be ready to discover new passions. Challenge yourself to join a new club, try a new hobby or meet a few new friends.

The return to campus might be strange, scary, and overwhelming, but at least it won’t be boring. Preparing yourself for this transition will help you to give this school-year your best effort. You can do this!

Hannah is studying English Creative Writing at Michigan State University. She is passionate about art, poetry, good food, and working toward a sustainabile future.