Culture > News

How to Learn About the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

As one of the world’s longest conflicts, the Palestinian-Israeli conflict continues to have an impact on the world. Due to its long history, the conflict is complex and can be challenging to comprehend. To cultivate a well-rounded understanding, it is essential to explore diverse sources. Here are five ways to enhance your understanding of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

Read

The textbook “Arabs and Israelis: Conflict and peacemaking in the Middle East by Abdel Monem Said Aly, Shai Feldman, and Khalil Shikaki is a good place to begin learning about the conflict. The book serves as a strong introduction to the conflict and provides invaluable insight into the opposing narratives behind it. While this is a good starting place, there are many other books and academic articles available. When reading, make sure you know of the author’s potential biases. 

Watch 

Documentaries and films are another way to get a better grasp on the conflict and be able to visualize its detrimental effects. One documentary, “5 Broken Cameras” by Emad Burnat, a Palestinian farmer on the West Bank protesting the illegal Israeli settlements on Palestinian land, and Guy Davidi, an Israeli filmmaker. It is a fascinating first-hand account from a Palestinian perspective.  

Along with this, the news can be a way to stay on top of current developments with the conflict and situations related to it. When watching the news, viewing multiple channels is important to see different angles. 

Listen 

A major way to learn and dive deeper into specific areas of the conflict is by gathering information first-hand from people who are in the midst of the conflict. Universities and organizations often host talks on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, such as those organized by MSU Hillel at Michigan State University.

Another opportunity to listen is through online courses and videos. One of my go-tos for learning is Khan Academy. In an introduction video about the conflict, John Green does a good job of breaking it down in a simpler way. 

Discuss 

Respectfully discussing thoughts about the conflict helps you to form a better understanding and engage with diverse perspectives. Seek out viewpoints from Palestinian and Israeli voices, as well as those from the international community. Having discussions which encourage open dialogue and critical discourse to broaden your awareness of the multifaceted dimensions of the conflict.

Visit

The most immersive way to learn is through first-hand experience. Visiting Israel and Palestinian territories allows you to witness the impact of the conflict on people’s lives and appreciate the beauty beyond the turmoil. If unable to travel, museums and exhibitions provide a way to see the culture of these places. In Washington D.C., the Museum of the Palestinian People shares the diverse stories of the Palestinian people, including aspects of their history, culture, and the ongoing conflict. Similarly, the American Jewish Historical Society in New York City preserves and promotes the history of Jewish life in the Americas. Although not exclusively focused on Israel, it may feature exhibits and resources related to the Israeli-American experience.

Getting a basic understanding of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict is important in order to have a better grasp on how it affects our lives and the lives of those around us. While current events in the Middle East go beyond the conflict, it’s essential to understand it, so you are able to respond to information in an educated way and discern what is true. Remember, the Palestinian-Israeli conflict is complex, and approaching it with an open mind while critically evaluating information from various sources is crucial.

Leah Lindemeyer was formerly the Community Outreach Director and an editor for Her Campus as MSU. She helped HCMSU remain active in the community and give back to East Lansing. Lindemeyer graduated from Michigan State University in spring of 2024 with a bachelor's degree in communication and minors in media photography, public relations, and global studies. After graduation, she will go to Ohio State for her Master's in communication. Lindemeyer wrote and edited for her high school's journalism program for all four years she attended. For her work, she earned the James L. McCann "Excellence in Journalism" Award two years in a row. In her free time, Lindemeyer enjoys water skiing, traveling, watching romantic comedies, and taking photos.