This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Earth Day is closer than we think, and there are a number of things we can do to celebrate it and apply more often to our daily routines. Earth Day shouldn’t only be on April 22 but something we celebrate everyday since we live on this Earth all year, not just once a year. For the rest of this 2022, we should make it our new resolution to recognize the importance of our Earth and what we can do to make it a better place so it is  beneficial for both the Earth and humans.

1. Be car-free!

This one is one of the harder ones to complete for some, but it is not impossible. On some occasions we take our cars because it’s more convenient, but walking to our classes, for example, is a great thing to do. It’s not only great for the environment but also for us! It’s a great way to get some exercise in. Additionally, in some cases you can carpool with some of your friends and enjoy some time together.

1. Clean up plastic around you!

Sometimes we see a lot of trash and plastic around us when we are going from one place to another. On this special day, you can make a group or you can enjoy by yourself as an activity and go to the nearest park or neighborhood to pick up trash and plastic you may see and dispose of it properly. Just because some people don’t know how to do it properly doesn’t mean you can’t be a helping hand. 

1. Plant a tree!

Some areas could use more greenery, so adding a tree or a plant of some sort could be very beneficial for everyone. The more trees and plants we have around us, the better! It’s very useful for us as well since it’s the way we receive some sort of clean air and also helps combat emissions that humans produce.

1. Learn about composting

Composting is something we can all try to do and it’s not difficult to learn. Like many of the ones that I’ve mentioned already, it’s beneficial for us and the Earth as well. By composting we are reducing the amount of emissions produced by these scraps. This will help our produce grow healthier and in this way we wouldn’t need to use chemicals on our plants. There’s many benefits from composting and many different ways to compost as well, you just need to find the one that fits you the best.

5. Educate yourself and others about what is going on!

The main issue we have that has brought us to where we are today is the lack of information. If we all educate ourselves and find resourceful information of the events that are happening around us and what we can do to reduce them, we would see a significant difference in a short amount of time. 

These are just a few of the things we  can start doing to celebrate Earth day. There’s a number of things we can apply to our everyday lives, live a much more sustainable life, and reduce all of the damage that we’ve done in the past years. It’s just a matter of education and taking  action while we still can. Soon, time will run out and we’ll regret not helping when we actually had the chance to.

I am a Senior from Puerto Rico going to Michigan State University to major in Psychology. My goal is obtain a psyD in Neuropsychology or Clinical Psychology and open my practice to help children and people who need help.