This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

In the fast-paced world that we live in, time always seems to be running out and meeting deadlines becomes more and more difficult. I like getting most of my work out of the way as quickly as possible, so I’m not cramming anything last minute. I don’t like having to stress about my work, especially if I can plan it out in advance, finish it, and never have to think about it again. Here are some things I do that help me stay on top of my work.

1. Mark ALL of my due dates for the month in one go.

Whether on a physical planner, or an online calendar, I’ve found that marking down all of my assignments for the month helps me plan out when to start them. I have courses that assign weekly homework that’s always due on the same day. Since I know I’m going to have multiple problem sets due that week, I am able to plan for them days in advance. 

1. Work with a friend or classmate.

Having a classmate or friend work with you makes work that much easier and way more fun. Instead of sitting for hours on end, breaking your head trying to understand what to do, you can sit with your friends, pool all of your resources and break down tasks into manageable chunks. 

1. Reward yourself

I’m always looking for reasons to buy myself a little treat at the end of the week, and I find that a large boba keeps me motivated to finish my work on time. A reward can be anything that makes you happy and allows you to chill after a long day of being productive.

While meeting deadlines is super important, it is also important to take a break. Make sure you’re getting enough sleep and rest. If you cannot make a deadline, it’s not the end of the world and absolutely does not reflect on your work ethic. Work with your instructors and friends to make sure that you’re as productive as you want to be, and always remember that your best looks different at different periods of your life.

Sanskriti is an undergraduate astrophysics major who loves to read and is very passionate about making and eating dumplings. She is the current Vice President of the Astronomy Club at Michigan State University, and can often be found hunting for new horror podcasts to listen to.