This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

I feel it’s only right to begin by saying that I’m 19 years old.  I haven’t traveled the world.  I haven’t even eaten at every dining hall on campus.  I’m not foolish enough to call myself wise.  With this said, I have been there.  I have survived the often confusing, but always exciting journey that is freshman year.  Our stories may look different, but one thing is the same — we’re just girls trying to figure it out.  To save you some time (and some embarrassment, anxiety, overthinking, etc), here’s what I’ve learned.

IF SOMEONE WANTS TO TALK TO YOU, THEY WILL 

This applies to all relationships — whether friendly, romantic, or casual.  I get it.  We’re college students.  We’re busy with classes, clubs, jobs, and sports.  But let’s be real.  We’re all on our phones.  If it’s been over an hour and you’re still left on “delivered,” they just don’t want to talk to you.  They don’t even care about what you have to say.  Put your phone down and move on.

PEOPLE COME IN AND OUT OF YOUR LIFE FOR A REASON

You may have left high school with a dozen close friends.  You may have found your people at orientation.  That’s great, but great doesn’t always mean permanent.  Life happens.  Growing apart is painful, but if that person is meant to be in your life, you will find a way to grow together again.

IT’S OKAY TO NOT BE OKAY

The transition from adolescence to university is not always easy.  You are going to have days of doubt.  You may miss your family.  You may miss your boyfriend from back home.  You may miss your high school identity.  This is okay.  You will find your way — everyone does.  I promise.

GETTING OVER SOMEONE IS NOT EASY, BUT IT IS POSSIBLE

Whether it’s a boy from back home or a boy from your ISS class, we’ve all been there.  We have all liked a boy only to be met with unrequited feelings.  It may feel like the end of the world now, but if you have the goal of getting over him in mind, you will find freedom.  And if all else fails, remember — if he wanted to be with you, he would be with you.

THE FOOD DOESN’T SUCK — YOU’RE JUST PICKY

Now, don’t get me wrong.  I’m an optimist, but I’m not an idiot.  I don’t think the food is always award-winning, but there is something you like out there.  Tacos at Brody?  Wraps at Case?  Are you still complaining?  That seems more like a You problem than a State problem.

DO NOT TALK TO SOMEONE FOR TOO LONG BEFORE YOU MEET IN PERSON

I’m not telling you to meet up with a complete stranger.  Do your stalking and make sure he or she is not a psychopath.  Just don’t spend too long anticipating the first meet up.  People can appear differently through the phone.  Don’t waste your time.

EVERYTHING IN MODERATION

You’re in college — you’re allowed to go out and have fun.  Make some mistakes.  With this said, anything in excess is not a good thing.  You can say no to plans.  You don’t have to go out everyday, nor do you have to go out every weekend.  Have self care nights and have them often.

YOU’RE NOT THE SMARTEST PERSON IN THE ROOM ANYMORE

I don’t want to hurt your feelings, but depending on your high school experience, you may need some humility.  News flash: we’ve all made it here.  We all were the smart kids.  Sit back in your lectures and listen.  Your time to share your voice will come.

SOMETIMES HE’S JUST NOT THAT INTO YOU

So you’ve been Snapchatting this boy for two weeks.  Things are going good.  You two may have even hung out.  He has real potential.  Then, poof!  He’s gone.  Listen to me and listen well.  Him not having feelings for you is not a reflection of you.  You are still insightful, kind, creative, and capable of changing the world.  You two just don’t have chemistry.  Accept it.

I wish you the best of luck.  I wish you good days to marvel at the beauty that is Michigan State and a few inferior days to fully appreciate the good.  And if you’re ever feeling lost, shout “go green,” and with the response of “go white,” you will be found.  

Hunter is a journalism student at Michigan State University. With a concentration in broadcast media and a minor in Spanish, she is passionate about storytelling and creating empathy through understanding.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.