Style

Halloween Costumes Sure To Make Sparty Smile

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Halloween is just around the corner, and people are excited to see what costumes will debut at social gatherings. With a multitude of events at people’s houses, student organizations, and bars, there can be pressure to find costumes to wear to each event. What better way to celebrate than by dressing like the wonders of Michigan State’s campus! 

Sparty

Sparty is a treat to see all over campus. Not only is he notorious for showing up at even the most unlikely events, buildings, or even classes, but he is always happy for a photo opportunity. You could go all out with getting a costume that comes with his well-known face, or you could use at-home items to make a personalized Sparty. Ideas to get started include your MSU top of choice, a green skirt or pants, and a knight helmet. You can even add the special touch of a lab coat or tie to make Sparty dressed for a day in the life of your major. It will surely wow your fellow Spartan fans and make a fantastic look! 

Michigan State Athlete

Another way to showcase the aspects of student life on campus would be to dress as a member of one of our plethora of athletic teams. From rowing to volleyball, there are ways to make sure no two costumes are the same. Jerseys can be borrowed from friends or purchased on campus or on Grand River. However, wearing a t-shirt with the number of the athlete or even dressing in a Michigan State-branded t-shirt can give a great look. Athletes aren’t always in uniform! 

Zeke the Wonder Dog

If you’re looking for something a little more out of the box, this costume is perfect for you! Zeke the Wonder Dog is an iconic part of the Spartan family. This costume could consist of a simple dog onesie with an MSU T-shirt. You could also take it to the next level with a brown tutu and shirt, dog ears, and an MSU bandana. This costume is easy to make your own but is sure to be cute.

Dairy Store Employee

A great rewarding treat on campus is ice cream from The Dairy Store on campus. Not only are there specialized flavors specific to the activity on campus, but there is a rotation of flavors to choose from. The employees who keep us full of these frozen treats are certainly some of the best! Merchandise can be purchased from the store itself or can just be put together with jeans, a Michigan State t-shirt, and a green or white baseball cap. From the green t-shirts to iconic caps, this costume is sure to be recognized. 

The Halloween fun doesn’t end here! These are just a few of the ideas that could be inspired by campus life. Even a Sparty’s or dining hall employee would be a great costume to wear around campus, celebrating the community we have together. Go green!

Phebe Jones is the Treasurer for Her Campus at MSU. Jones is a senior studying biochemistry as well as molecular genetics. Jones has published many times by local libraries for summer writing contests. She doesn't write often in her majors and wants to keep in enjoying one of her favorite activities. In her free time, Jones enjoys: reading, videogames, horror movies, listening to music, and cartoons.
Alayna VanDoeselaar is a writer for Her Campus at MSU. This is only her second semester with HCMSU, and she is looking forward to all the amazing things that Her Campus will bring! Alayna is a freshman at Michigan State studying English with a concentration in creative writing. She loves writing short stories, poetry, and lifestyle articles! She hopes to go into editing, publishing, and writing in her future career. In her free time, Alayna likes to read, write, look for new music to listen to, and go thrifting. She can be found on Instagram at @alaynavand.