sean o KMn4VEeEPR8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sean o KMn4VEeEPR8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

He looks outwards towards the sea.
The waves crashed along the shoreline.
He feels his feet underneath the sand. The small particles sliding between the edges of his toes. He cups the sand into his palm and flips his hand over. Watching as droplets of sand form a small mount.

She comes towards him. A white dress slipped over her swimsuit. Her tan legs help her elegantly walk across the sandy surface. When she spots him, she takes off her sunglasses and sits beside him. Playing with the makeshift hill of sand he created. She plays with the small particles, carefully watching as they cascade down the sides of her palm and back onto the shore. Her smile widens with each hill she creates, displacing the pearly whites of her teeth. She’s so happy. 

“We used to love coming here.” Her voice brings him out of his thoughts.’

“I know,” he responds. 

Breathing in the deep ocean breeze, the scent is tranquil and uplifting. Reminding him of the good old days when they used to come to the ocean and spread out along the sandy shore. He misses those days. When things were easier and much simpler.

“Why don’t we come here anymore?” 

She looks down at him. Her blue irises the same deep blue color as the ocean stare back at him. Just looking at her eyes makes him want to cry. 

“I don’t know,” he says, turning back towards the ocean away from her staring eyes. Not wanting to admit to the real reason.

“Well thank you for bringing me back,” she says.

The waves push and pull along the shoreline. It’s almost in a timely manner, mechanical set. Push and pull. Push and pull. 

“You’re welcome,” he says, tears streaming down his cheeks. He wipes them away with his arm and looks over his shoulder hoping to find her still there. But she’s gone. Disappeared like the sea shells that were absorbed by the current. Forever lost in the waves.

He stands up and places his hand inside his jacket. Taking out the bag that he has been carrying around since her funeral months ago. He walks closer to the waves and opens up the top of the bag. Tipping out the gray flaky contents, watching as the ocean absorbs every bit of her ashes until she disappears below the waves.

“Goodbye, my love.”

Nicolette is studying Physiology with a minor in Health Promotion at Michigan State University. Planning to go to dental school, with her dream job to provide dental care to professional athletics and travel the world to provide assistance to those who don't have proper dental care. In addition, Nicolette is also a member of MSU Pre-Dental Club, MSU Chaarg, and MSU Relay. Nicolette's favorite pastime(s) is going to sporting events with her friends, photography and working out at her part-time job: IM West.