Style > Fashion

Gift Ideas for Your Holiday Knitting Adventures

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

The holidays are fast approaching. If you’re a crafter, then you have probably been preparing for this time of year over the last couple of months. As a knitter myself, I often have trouble choosing projects to give to loved ones during the holiday months. If you struggle with the same dilemma as me, keep reading to hear about four gift ideas for this holiday season!

1. Scarf

Though scarves are relatively simple, they are tried- and- true gifts. Whether you choose to knit simple patterns or complex patterns with cables and lace, there is something out there for you. I highly recommend searching through Ravelry’s free patterns to find one you like. Scarves are not only stash-buster projects that will keep your loved ones warm, but they are also the perfect stress-relieving projects for finals week. Their repetitive, simple nature makes them ideal projects to keep your hands busy while watching your favorite show during study breaks.

1. Balaclava

Balaclavas are both functional and fashionable, which makes them a great choice. Though they have been incorrectly lumped together with ski masks in the past, balaclavas are making a comeback in the fashion world. In addition to being warm and cozy, your loved ones can embrace the balaclava’s comeback when wearing your gift. Again, Ravelry has a wide range of wonderful balaclava patterns you can choose from.

1. Scrunchies

Scrunchies are simple and fun gifts that your loved ones can wear all year round. While you can purchase patterns for these, there are several YouTube tutorials that are very well-made and can help you achieve the same result without spending a few dollars on a written pattern. In addition to being a wonderful stash-busting project, scrunchies knit up quickly. Depending on your knitting speed, you may even be able to finish an entire matching set of three during a holiday movie marathon. So, put on your holiday movie, and knit away!

1. Sweater

If you are feeling ambitious and are ready to commit to a larger project, sweaters are wonderful gifts that your loved ones will cherish for years. Though they seem more advanced than the other projects on this list, simple patterns like Kara Eng’s “Game, Set, Match Cardigan,” PetiteKnit’s “Louisiana Sweater,”, and My Favourite Things Knitwear’s “Sweater No. 9” are accessible to beginners. These designers’ beginner-friendly patterns and YouTube tutorials will help you succeed in knitting a warm, comfortable sweater. However, beware of the sweater curse if you are planning on knitting a sweater for your significant other!

Whether you choose to knit a repetitive, calming scarf or a sweater that keeps you on the edge of your seat, I hope this list has sparked some inspiration for your holiday knitting endeavors. Happy knitting!

Hi! My name is Sravani Sunkara, and I am a freshman at Michigan State University studying human biology and bioethics. In my free time, I run, bake, hammock, and volunteer as a junior EMT at my local rescue station.