This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Happy Holidays! It’s the time of year when we layer up, cuddle up with loved ones, share food and drinks, and tell stories as we enjoy the long nights and shining lights. And of course, give and get gifts. 

Gift giving is one of my love languages, which is ironic because gift receiving is absolutely not. We’ve all been in that awkward situation where you really care about someone but have no idea what to get them for Christmas (or their birthday for that matter). In my experience, men are the hardest to find gifts for, unless they’ve explicitly stated over and over they want that specific series of Air Jordans from that one Nike drop three seasons ago (read: impossible). Of course, you feel bad asking them what they want, because they say they’ll be happy with whatever and it doesn’t matter. However, it does matter since you want to show them you care about them and what if he gets you something great but you got him nothing and and and… I get it. 

So I’ve done the research, asked my college-aged guy friends what they want, and compiled your shopping list for that guy in your life.

Right off the bat, the most popular answer was clothing such as sweaters, shoes, and workout gear. Basically, supplement their closet with something they like and you’d like seeing them in.

Chris Evans’ cream knit sweater in Knives Out was loved by the men as much as the women. Multiple guys said they wanted “a knit sweater, like Chris Evans in Knives Out”. Hollister, Old Navy and American Eagle have great, affordable options. When I asked about fit, there was a split between the guys. As far as sweaters are concerned, some like sweaters and hoodies to fit close, while others say that because it’s a fall/winter piece, they prefer them as size up so they can layer underneath. Really, it’s up to your man, so don’t be afraid to ask. 

With warm outer layers, you cannot go wrong with a hoodie or crewneck. Local brands, your college’s student store, their favorite sports team or artist, and even hoodies from stores like Zumiez or Tilly’s are great for current artists without taking out a chunk of money for artists like Migos or Luke Bryan. Even a simple hoodie from GymShark or Nike is a great staple piece for any closet. 

If your man is a gym rat, a new pair of shoes (Nike Pegasus for cardio, Nike Blazers or Converse hi-tops for lifting), dri-fit tees, or the classic grey Nike sweatpants (they’re onto us), would be an awesome gift. Reaching back to sweaters/hoodies, those are great pump covers for the gym too. Again, Nike and GymShark were the two top references when I asked for specific brands. 

Another very popular answer was tech and tech accessories. Apple watch bands provide a huge variety and can make a very personal gift. Amazon provides bands similar to actual watches for an elevated look, silicone ones, which are great for guys on the move, and woven ones, for a softer and more relaxed feel. 

Another popular one was an Apple pencil, compatible with Apple’s line of iPads. This is a big ask, but Amazon also has pencil wraps for personalization, grips for better holding, and loops to help keep the cap attached. 

Headphones are also a big ask, but you can find alternatives to the likes of Beats headphones at Best Buy or even TJ Maxx. 

Some other not as common ideas were as follows:

• Food Delivery Gift Cards: I don’t care how good a college boasts its dining hall food is- sometimes you just want dumplings and tempura udon from that local Chinese restaurant. Getting a food delivery gift card is a great gift for guys living in college towns, as most restaurants have picked up on how common food delivery services are for college students. 
  • Video games: I know nothing about video games, so here are the specific video games the guys listed:
    • God of War: Ragnarok
    • Madden 23
    • Call of Duty MW2
  • Tote Bags and Gym bags: reusable bags are great for college students to carry extra items, for staying the night, or for weekend trips. Something simple like a drawstring bag or a more structured tote bag (shaped more like a box) would be great to put other gifts in, too.
  • Alcohol and/or Memorabilia: Please only buy alcohol if you’re actually legally 21. Around the holidays, alcohol brands will put out gift boxes that often include a fifth of the alcohol, and two glasses engraved with the brand name. Most everyone will have a favorite alcohol brand, and those brands have quickly learned that merch is a great way to advertise. As a general college rule, cheap beer is good beer, and Walmart actually sells graphic tees with name brand beers like Budweiser, Pabst Blue Ribbon, and Corona. Shooters, nips, minis, or whatever you call them are also great if he isn’t particular about his drinks. 
  • Organization Merch: If your man is in a student organization, like a fraternity or major-associated club, see if there’s merch available so he can rep that. It shows you’re in touch with what he cares about and he can wear it all year round. 

Finally, the honorable mention of this list goes to one of my best friends who immediately said a sword from his favorite anime would make him the happiest. Look into what he likes, who he listens to, and what he watches. There’s a gift hiding in there somewhere. 

Honestly, remember what they said. Often we find ourselves so wrapped up (get it, wrapped? Like a present?) in the materialism, consumerism, and comparison of the holiday season that we forget to appreciate the person behind the gift. Make sure to cherish the time spent with your loved ones as much, if not more, than the gifts being given this season.

Junior from San Diego CA, studying international relations at Michigan State University! Also a sister of the Gamma Phi Beta sorority and a Starbucks barista.