Get to Know the VIM Magazine EICs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

With such strong heads on their shoulders, there is no denying that these two women will go far in life. Both Amanda Kadykowski, a junior Marketing student from Novi, Mich., and Marisa Sourges, a graduating senior with a degree in Creative Advertising from Northville, Mich., are currently the Co-Editor’s in Chief of MSU’s premiere fashion magazine, VIM Magazine – one of most recognized fashion publications on a college campus in the United States.

Both are definitely “women on the move” and have been immeasurably involved at MSU. Amanda, apart from being one of the EICs for VIM, is also a member of both the MSU Marketing Association and the Global Sales Leadership Society. She’s currently in the midst of starting up her own student organization at MSU as well. Talk about drive!

Marisa, likewise, has also been greatly involved at MSU as a member of the National Society of Leadership and Success as well as the VP of her sorority, Kappa Kappa Gamma. However, when they aren’t too busy, they both have favorite past times of their own. While Amanda prefers shopping, traveling and learning, Marisa prefers doing Pilates or dancing her heart out. Yet, both enjoy spending time with family and friends and cooking. Also, when they’re not on the go, you may just find them at either of their favorite spots on campus: Amanda’s being anywhere along the Red Cedar River, where you might find her taking photographs of the river throughout the seasons. Marisa’s is the West Circle Quad, MAC or Starbucks. Which college girl’s guilty pleasure doesn’t involve makeup, clothes, shopping or Starbucks?

When asked what advice they would give to future Spartans, both had some inspiring things to say. Amanda said: “Take full advantage of the opportunities you have here at Michigan State. You only have four (or five) years here; so, make the most of them! Have fun and don’t be afraid to put yourself out there and meet new people. Also, eat Conrad’s as much as you can.” Marisa’s said: “Find a major that you have a passion for, you enjoy and take pride in. There is no shame in changing your major if you are not truly happy. Four years is too long to waste unmotivated and unhappy.”

Both were also able to share their favorite memories at MSU. Amanda said that her favorite memories so far would have to be those from her freshmen year, when met her best friends in the world. Marisa, on the other hand, says that living in her sorority house with over 55 girls was quite the memorable experience, as there was always so much energy, and you always had someone to hang out with, no matter what you wanted to do.

Aside from all the fun they have had at MSU, both have ambitious goals for themselves post-graduation and within the next 10 years. Amanda said that after graduation she hopes to finally get the chance to start her own business on the side of whichever career she follows, as that has always been something she has been passionate about. She also looks forward to owning her own apartment in a vibrant city and finally get a puppy! How cute. In 10 years, she hopes to be established and happy, and her dream job would have to be being the VP of Marketing or the CEO of a company she is passionate about. Although Marisa also sees herself as a city girl with plans of moving to the Big Apple, she instead dreams of working as the Creative Director for a Haute Fashion House. In 10 years, she sees herself living bicoastal, being happy in her personal life, and being at the peak of her professional career.

Both have great passions that drive them, for Amanda it has always been developing new business ideas, and for Marisa it’s being the best version of herself that she can be, and we can’t wait to see where life takes them!

Some interesting facts about these two:

Amanda

Fun Fact: My last name is Polish, but my dad is not polish. My grandpa was adopted and took on his adoptive father’s last name, so that explains the Polish last name. But it turns out; my mom is 100% Polish, so I’m actually 50% Polish. Confusing, I know.

Which celebrity would you most want to trade places with and why: I don’t think I would want to trade places with a celebrity because I am a very private person, and I enjoy the life I have. But, if I had to choose, I would pick Angelina Jolie because she’s a powerful woman who exudes creativity, strength and leadership.

Guilty Pleasure: Sweets!

Ideal Date: My boyfriend and I have been dating for almost three years, so my favorite date is one where we can just chill and talk. I love grabbing dinner and walking around downtown areas in cool cities.

#1 Thing on Your Bucket List: To make a positive impact on the world.

Favorite Quote: “Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.” – Oscar Wilde

Marisa

Fun Fact: My love for jewelry is undeniable. I have a trunk filled with 21 trays of jewels just waiting to be worn!

Which celebrity would you most want to trade places with and why: Blake Lively. She has an undeniable eye for fashion, is impeccably polished and carries herself with such grace. Besides, who wouldn’t want to be Serena van der Woodsen?

Guilty Pleasure: Chocolate and popcorn with hot sauce

Ideal Date: Spontaneous road trip followed by a fabulous sushi dinner!

#1 Thing on Your Bucket List: Sky diving in the Swiss Alps

Favorite Quote:Be who you want to be, not what others want to see.”

Feminist | Editor | Lesbian