Flying for the First Time: “Six Crimson Cranes” Book Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Fantasy lovers of all ages can find joy in a lighthearted, thrilling story. Magic, adorable creatures, shapeshifters, a quest, and delicious food all contribute to well-known stories in the fantasy genre. A book reminiscent of all these features is Elizabeth Lim’s “Six Crimson Cranes.” 

Lim writes a beautiful story detailing a revolutionary time in the life of an emperor’s youngest child, a daughter named Shiori, and the dynamic of her life with six older brothers. With her marriage in the near future, Shiori is presented with the trials of not knowing her betrothed and the complications of an arranged marriage. When tensions rise, a quest presents itself to restore her life and that of her brothers before it is too late.

While the story does have a romantic aspect, Lim did not base the entirety of the story on building these relationships. This is one of my favorite aspects of the story. Time is put into building interpersonal relationships on all levels – building trust in ourselves, among our families, and even with the people we have been pushed towards by others. In building these connections, characters form a strong sense of belonging with one another that proves imperative to creating a team against a foreign threat. Having better communication strengthens the bonds of the characters throughout the story, just as it does in real life. There is always a status quo from outside factors that is expected to be obeyed, but Lim’s story focuses on not judging anyone on the surface or because they are different, but by their actions towards others, for actions speak louder than words.  

I would highly recommend this novel to anyone that wants to be immersed in a whimsical world. It is not only for the magic that exists there, but also the secrets that make this book impossible to put down. Each page is a new development in resolving the treachery sweeping the known world. Lim even provides a map in the beginning of the book to provide reference into the characters and their movement throughout the realm. She doesn’t leave a leaf unturned in her descriptions of the surroundings Shiori encounters. Altogether, Lim’s novel focuses on an important part of life in the real world and any fantasy: finding oneself. Not lingering on the thoughts that others have of us, but truly proving time and time again that true value comes from within. 

Phebe Jones is the Treasurer for Her Campus at MSU. Jones is a senior studying biochemistry as well as molecular genetics. Jones has published many times by local libraries for summer writing contests. She doesn't write often in her majors and wants to keep in enjoying one of her favorite activities. In her free time, Jones enjoys: reading, videogames, horror movies, listening to music, and cartoons.