Life > Academics

Five Things Attending A Residential College Taught Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

It is no secret that college and being on your own can be pretty daunting, especially when you are going for a major that is not the easiest. This was one of the reasons I chose to attend my university’s residential college for those with STEM majors, with a high amount of those students on a pre-health track. Living Learning Communities (LLCs) are becoming more widespread in colleges across the country. If you are considering attending one, here are my five main takeaways from this experience that I would like to share.

1. You will find your people.

Sometimes, this process and timeline is different for everyone, but it will happen. Whether you instantly click with your roommate or bond with a group member in one of your hard classes, you will continue building your circle of friends further, whether those friends are in your LLC or not. I have found it easier to make friends here, since there are many people around me with similar interests, goals, and majors. It can be so easy to strike up a conversation with someone in a study lounge or class, as most people are in a similar position as you. 

1. You will have a better opportunity to connect with professors and other opportunities.

Something I enjoy about the classes I have enrolled in for my residential college is the smaller class sizes offered. Sometimes it may feel like high school again, but having that opportunity to be able to receive more personalized help from a professor can make all the difference in learning the content, especially for a harder class. This can also allow you to build a relationship with them, which can help with recommendations, research opportunities, or internships.

1. You will see the same people…a lot.

Yes, this is an advantage when it comes to making friends, but you will pretty much see the same exact people in the dining hall, class, the hallway, getting your mail, etc. Yes, this may be a common college thing, but it is a little excessive in an LLC.

1. Try to expand your circle outside of your community.

While its great to have friends in your community, trying to make friends outside of your major can be quite refreshing. I recommend joining a club that is not related to your major that has social events and opportunities to connect with others with similar interests. Although my clubs and volunteering related to my major and goals have been enriching experiences, joining something you enjoy not related to your studies can prevent burnout and will allow a mental break from your studies.

1. You are on your own path.

Being in an LLC found me comparing myself to other people. It can feel like everyone else is ending world hunger or curing cancer. Sometimes, it may feel like you are not doing enough to reach your goal compared to others around you. It is so easy to compare yourself when your friends get a higher grade on an exam, or someone else ends up getting an internship you applied for. Imposter syndrome hit me for the first time in college, as it does for most students. Ultimately, it is essential to stay true to yourself and know that you do not have to follow an exact plan or ace every exam to reach your goal. Being in an LLC is designed for you to work closely with resources and receive support from those around you. There is no right or wrong way to go about your educational path.

Ultimately, being in a residential college was one of the best decisions I have made for my education, as well as my personal life. I have met so many amazing people and gained so much from being here. If you have the opportunity to attend an LLC, I would definitely recommend it.

Kate is a writer for Her Campus at Michigan State University. She is a neuroscience major on the pre-med track. She enjoys baking, reading, and volunteering in her free time. You can usually find her at her favorite study spots on campus with a coffee in her hand.