This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Often, I find myself caught up in a whirlwind of activities, rushing from one task to another while facing a seemingly endless to-do list. I constantly have to remind myself of the importance of finding a healthy work-life balance. At times, it seems like taking a pause to prioritize your health is impossible. However, it is possible if you make it a priority. Here are some ways I find a balance and avoid getting swept away by the whirlwind.

Planner

A planner is essential in order to keep track of due dates, activities, and more. Attempting to keep track of everything in your head will lead to unnecessary stress. Having everything written down will help you stay prepared and manage your time effectively. Personally, I love Blue Sky planners because they have monthly calendars and weekly calendars with a to do list. 

Set Boundaries

To avoid one aspect of your life from overpowering the other, it is critical that you create a clear separation between your work and personal life. This may look like scheduling specific hours to work or disconnecting from your phone at certain times. Communicating these boundaries is vital to ensure they are respected. Also, remember it is ok to say no to others if you’re feeling overwhelmed! Saying no to lower priority things will allow you to allocate more time and energy towards higher priority things. 

Take Breaks

Being productive doesn’t always mean spending more time working. While procrastination can be a problem, taking short breaks while working can actually be beneficial. According to Workplace MSU, benefits of breaks include increased productivity, restored focus, and increased creativity. Ways to take a beneficial break include going for a walk, eating a snack, meditating, or engaging in relaxing activities like coloring.

Have A Back Up Plan

Following through with plans, especially on a day with a packed schedule, never fails to be stressful. Having a backup plan is important in order to prevent scrambling. An alternative plan can provide a sense of security and peace of mind.

Delegate

You don’t have to do everything by yourself! Delegating tasks can improve efficiency when those who have the right expertise are able to help with tasks. Additionally, sharing the weight of the tasks can free up your time and reduce stress.

In order to be healthy both mentally and physically, maintaining a healthy work-life balance is important. While it is easy to get sucked into the hectic whirlwind and neglect certain aspects of your life, you need to slow down and find the balance. By utilizing a planner, setting boundaries, taking breaks, having back up plans, and delegating tasks, you can effectively manage your time. Take a moment to reassess your work-life balance and make  effective changes to improve your health. Your future self will thank you for it!

Leah Lindemeyer was formerly the Community Outreach Director and an editor for Her Campus as MSU. She helped HCMSU remain active in the community and give back to East Lansing. Lindemeyer graduated from Michigan State University in spring of 2024 with a bachelor's degree in communication and minors in media photography, public relations, and global studies. After graduation, she will go to Ohio State for her Master's in communication. Lindemeyer wrote and edited for her high school's journalism program for all four years she attended. For her work, she earned the James L. McCann "Excellence in Journalism" Award two years in a row. In her free time, Lindemeyer enjoys water skiing, traveling, watching romantic comedies, and taking photos.