Peregrine falcon with three eggs in nest
Photo by MSU Fisheries and Wildlife Club
Culture > News

Falcons on the Stadium

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

How many of us here at Michigan State were aware of a peregrine falcon nest and webcam installed on the roof of the Spartan Stadium?

On our very own campus, a special spot was created for peregrine falcons to mate and lay eggs in a nest built by the MSU Fisheries and Wildlife Club. In a conversation with the club’s president, Molly Engelman, I got the inside details on the dedicated efforts of some college students with a passion for conservation.

What are your goals as the president of the MSU Fisheries and Wildlife Club?

“As the president, my goals are to create a space for anyone interested in conservation to get involved. Most of the members are a part of the Fisheries and Wildlife program, but anyone interested in local conservation efforts can join.”

Of all birds, why did your club decide to study the falcons?

“The peregrine falcons have been around MSU for about 5 years. About 15 years ago, an attempt was made to set up a falcon nest by East Neighborhood, but they never showed. The falcons were already around the Spartan Stadium so it was easier to set up there.”

What was the process of setting up the nest and webcam?

“We contacted IPF (Infrastructure Planning and Facilities) who were open to the project. We got support from the Fisheries and Wildlife Department as well as the Forestry Department. Through donations, fundraising, and a grant from ASMSU, we were able to build the nest box with wood from the Forestry department and install it and the camera on the roof of the stadium.”

What do you hope will happen as a result of studying the falcons?

“We hope to promote conservation of peregrine falcons because they are state endangered species. We are also hoping to band the chicks once they hatch so that they can be tracked by researchers throughout their lives. We hope that this will be an inspiration to other conservation organizations to take a closer look at the urban wildlife in their area and see what they can do to protect it.”

How can people help support the MSU Fisheries and Wildlife Club so you can continue doing the work that you are?

“You can watch the webcam’s livestream (HERE) on YouTube to help support the project and get views on the video. We’re going to be adding a donation link to the video as well. You can also follow us on Instagram @msufwclub to stay updated on the falcons as well as other events and fundraisers that are happening in the future.”

This project was in the works for a while, as Engelman shared. She stressed the importance of recognizing that conservation can start with a small group of people or even one person. It doesn’t take much to show that we care and a lot of great things can happen for people and animals alike when we do.

Risa Bhutani is a junior at Michigan State University studying accounting. She is also the events director for Her Campus at Michigan State and enjoys creating core memories for people in the chapter through events. She is a fan of reality TV, true crime, reading, and hiking in her spare time.