Everything You Need to Know About “Daredevil: Born Again”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Three years after the Netflix original show, “Daredevil”, was canceled after three seasons, Marvel has announced that Matthew Murdock will be gracing our screens in his own show once again. This news overjoyed lifelong and new fans alike, but Marvel, characteristically, has been stingy with the details. Keep reading for the rundown on what we know about the new Daredevil show thus far. 

that Matthew Murdock will be gracing our screens in his own show once again. This news overjoyed lifelong and new fans alike, but Marvel, characteristically, has been stingy with the details. Keep reading for the rundown on what we know about the new Daredevil show thus far. 

At San Diego Comic-Con earlier this year, Kevin Feige revealed that the project, called “Daredevil: Born Again,” will consist of an 18 episode season airing on Disney+ in Spring 2024. Despite massive fan demand for a continuation of the original “Daredevil” show, it’s described as more of a reboot than a fourth season of the Netflix predecessor. 

. Despite massive fan demand for a continuation of the original “Daredevil” show, it’s described as more of a reboot than a fourth season of the Netflix predecessor. 

Marvel has been building up to this project over the past two years. Charlie Cox first reprised his role as Matt Murdock and made his grand debut in the Marvel Cinematic Universe in “Spiderman: No Way Home,” which released in theaters on Dec. 17, 2021. He cameoed as Peter Parker’s “really good lawyer” and received an ecstatic response from fans. His return to the screen also caused a significant revival in the Netflix series’s popularity and drew in many first-time viewers. 

Cox also appeared in two episodes of “She-Hulk: Attorney at Law” earlier this year. He shows up not only as lawyer Murdock, but also as his crime fighting alter-ego Daredevil. In this show, he debuted a new red and gold Daredevil suit, resembling the one from Marvel Comics. 

In 2021, Vincent D’Onofrio reprised his role of Wilson Fisk, a.k.a. Kingpin, in the “Hawkeye” series. Kingpin was a major villain in “Daredevil”, and his appearance in “Hawkeye” serves as his breakthrough to the MCU. The last we see of Kingpin’s character is his supposed death, but we know Marvel deaths don’t always stick. 

The only confirmed cast members of “Daredevil: Born Again” are Cox and D’Onofrio as of now. Alaqua Cox is rumored to be appearing as Maya Lopez, a character from the “Hawkeye” series. She is also confirmed to have her own show called “Echo,” releasing on Disney+ in Summer 2023 with both C. Cox and D’Onofrino credited on the cast list. 

With nothing else being officially announced regarding “Daredevil: Born Again,” fans have many questions. The most prominent ones surround the status of Cox’s co-stars from the original series: Deborah Ann Woll and Elden Henson. Fans can’t imagine a Daredevil show without Matt’s best friends Karen Page and Foggy Nelson, and the unsureness of their return is causing some unease. Jon Bernthal as Frank Castle, a.k.a. The Punisher, was also a fan favorite from “Daredevil” as well as his solo show, but there has been no hints as to whether or not he will reprise his role. 

After Cox’s appearances in “She-Hulk” and his charming chemistry with Tatiana Maslany, it’s not surprising that viewers are rooting for her to appear as Jennifer Walters in “Daredevil: Born Again.” Nothing has been confirmed yet, but after their epic team ups earlier this year, it’s not very far-fetched that we could see them together again soon. 

No details have been released about the plot of “Daredevil: Born Again,” but it will likely be similar to that of the comic of the same name. In the comic, Daredevil battles Kingpin, who has learned of his civilian identity. While there is no telling how much the show will deviate from this story, it’s safe to assume that it will be the starting point. 

Is all of this a little overwhelming? Don’t worry, you have over a year to prepare for our favorite charismatic lawyer’s triumphant return to Hell’s Kitchen. Start rewatching and rereading all of your cherished Daredevil media, and keep one eye on Marvel’s socials for any new announcements. 

Kendra Gilchrist is Senior Editor for Her Campus at MSU. She assists with and edits other members' articles, helps run the editing team, as well as writing her own articles. Gilchrist is a sophomore at Michigan State University studying journalism with a concentration in writing, reporting, and editing. Gilchrist was the Journalism and Copy Editor for her high school yearbook during her senior year and recently interned at her local newspaper. In her free time, Gilchrist likes to read, obsess over tv and movies, go to concerts, and drink way too much coffee.