Everything to Know Before the “1989 (Taylor’s Version)” Release

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

On Aug. 9, Taylor Swift took the stage at SoFi Stadium in Inglewood, Calif., for the last night of the U.S. leg of her renowned “Eras Tour.” During the acoustic set of the tour, where Swift would sing two surprise songs from her discography, she announced that “1989 (Taylor’s Version)” would be available everywhere on Oct. 27. Here is everything you need to know before this highly anticipated release. 

Whether you are a “Swiftie” or simply like her music, you probably know that Swift has been re-recording her old albums one by one after her masters were sold without her permission in 2020. Swift has already re-released three of her past albums: “Fearless,” “Red,” and “Speak Now,” respectively, and “1989” is the next one on the list. 

In order to create an incentive for fans to stream and buy the “Taylor’s Version” albums rather than the old ones, Swift includes “Vault Tracks” on the tracklist. These are songs that did not make the original album but were recorded to be included in the new one. 

“1989 (Taylor’s Version)” will have five new songs added to the end of the album: “Slut! (Taylor’s Version)(From the Vault),” “Say Don’t Go (Taylor’s Version)(From the Vault),” “Now That We Don’t Talk (Taylor’s Version)(From the Vault),” “Suburban Legends (Taylor’s Version)(From the Vault),” and “Is It Over Now? (Taylor’s Version)(From the Vault).” 

The original “1989” album, titled for Swift’s birth year, was released in 2014, and it was a turning point in her career as a musician. It was her first album that entirely consisted of pop songs and quickly became a fan favorite. The album became one of Swift’s most successful pieces, winning numerous awards, the most impressive being Album of the Year at the 58th Annual Grammy Awards.

With classic pop throwbacks like “Shake It Off” and whimsical heartbreak anthems like “Wildest Dreams,” “1989 (Taylor’s Version)” is making its return as one of the most anticipated pop albums of the year. 

Click Here to find where you can pre-order or pre-save the album. 

Peyton Skiver is a writer, editor, and E-board member of Her Campus at Michigan State University. She writes articles to be published on the Her Campus site and designs content for the HCMSU social media pages. Skiver is a second year student at MSU studying journalism with a minor in sports journalism. Outside of class, she is a reporter for the Spartan Sports Report and a member of the Association of Women in Sports Media (AWSM). Skiver has a passion for photography, writing, and media design. In her free time, she loves to read, listen to music, and binge watch new TV shows.