This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

I wrote my first ekphrastic poem in 12th grade. The assignment was to choose any painting in the world and write a short poem on it. There was something so fascinating about this assignment to me that I was compelled to look into poetry further. An ekphrastic poem is a dramatic piece of writing about a work of art. It is clear to see why this type of poetry is so enchanting. Art itself is so subjective, and personal reflections on any artwork are a great way to practice writing and creativity skills. For example, this is the poem I wrote in 12th grade:

And So The Wind Looks On

Scarcely do they notice me,

As they huddle with glee.

The star-crossed lover

With her other as a cover

Never stopping for a rest,

They love as if possessed.

I envy their nature,

Admitting it all seems great on paper.

But I know the truth 

Of the tainted youth

From years of knowledge

I know she’ll never acknowledge

The warning sign

That she’ll never be his “mine.”

Looking back on this piece, I will admit that I rhymed “knowledge” with “acknowledge,” but otherwise I love the way this painting made me think. I took the perspective of the wind for this poem and focused on a romantic lens. Ekphrastic poems are a beautiful way of expressing one’s feelings about art. 

If you ever feel in a creative rut, try finding a painting that inspires you and write about it! It’s a great way to feel closer to the art we see and hear every day. 

A Michigan State University student by day, an 8-hour sleeper by night Aditi would best describe herself as a "rather simple enigma." As she embarks on her college journey, Aditi cherishes the simple things in life: a cup of coffee, some pastel post-it notes, and her ever-growing succulent.