This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

College is deemed a time of self-discovery. You meet new people. You gain a different perspective. You learn to believe in yourself. But does a newfound belief in oneself often mean a lesser belief in a higher power? Moreover, with society becoming increasingly more liberal, do we still believe?

“I was born a Catholic and will die a Catholic, but my relationship with God has been bolstered by the experiences I’ve had with people who are Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, and other religions than my own.” –Jasper, Michigan State University

“For the first time in my life, I was away from a very religious family environment and it was nice, so I didn’t give much thought to spirituality.” –Prahar, University of Michigan

“For me personally, it strengthened it [Christianity]. Obviously, it was the first time being on my own, and it was at times very chaotic. I found myself praying for a lot of different things and for strength.” –Alex, Michigan State University

“Your spirituality definitely will be tested by the temptations and freedom college has to offer. I believe my background and foundation [Christianity] was solid before I went, so that definitely helped a lot.” –Josh, Oakland University

“For the first couple of months, I went to church every Sunday. However, when I really reflected, I decided that I identify more as agnostic and don’t really believe in any one religion.” –Jenn, Michigan State University

“In high school, I had mostly all Christian friends. However, coming to college and being surrounded by new and old Muslim friends changed the game for me.” –Essa, Wayne State University 

“Straying away from my strict religious beliefs, I concluded that I don’t even define myself as a person who is spiritual. I found that the world makes sense to me without believing in anything which is something that I never saw coming.” –Monique, Michigan State University

“Being a student in college who loves spending time with friends and going out, I didn’t find myself making time for God like I should have. Next year, I want to change my ways.” –Katie, Michigan State University

“I would consider myself pretty lost and out of touch with faith before starting college. I ended up meeting some campus ministers who shared the gospel story with me and showed me what being a Christian really meant.” –Macy, University of Nevada, Las Vegas

“I would say that college and going to a Catholic college hasn’t really had a significant impact on my spirituality.” –Elaina, Lourdes University

“I always dreaded going to church, so this led me to take it [anger] out on my religion. As my new friends at college would participate in traditions, like lent, I realized that I wanted to reconnect with God.” –Julia, Grand Valley State University

“In the beginning of college, I pulled away from the thought of God, but in my second semester, I became closer and regained my love for God.” –Tiffany, Adrian College

Spirituality is not a “one size fits all” concept. Take your time. Find your way. Sometimes, it’s not about having the answers— as long as you ask the questions.  

Hunter is a journalism student at Michigan State University. With a concentration in broadcast media and a minor in Spanish, she is passionate about storytelling and creating empathy through understanding.
Ananya is the President of Her Campus at Michigan State. She is majoring in Human Biology and minoring in Health Promotion, and post-graduation, she will be attending medical school! If she's not studying, you can find her watching TikToks or Grey's Anatomy!