This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

When the snowflakes start falling and finals draw to a close, nothing sounds better than curling up on the couch with a hot drink and a good book. While these reads aren’t holiday-themed, they all invoke the same kind of warmth that embodies the comfort Winter can bring. So, light a candle and grab your favorite blanket to get cozy for these recommendations. 

All of these recommendations include strong female characters, and are all authored by women with the exception of one. It wouldn’t be a book recommendation from me without a Stephen King novel, so I’ll get that out of the way first. 

The Shining, Stephen King

Arguably King’s most prolific work, the early novel from the well-known horror writer follows the story of a troubled family wintering in a haunted hotel. The ghosts of The Overlook Hotel get hungrier and hungrier, wearing the Torrance Family down until Jack Torrance finally snaps. Snowy and a little bit scary, it’s the perfect read for Winter Break. 

Holidaze, Christina Lauren

This book is on most holiday reading lists, but what’s not to love about a new take on the Groundhog Day phenomenon of starting the day over until you get it right? Holidaze is a story about self-love, family, and a little bit of spicy love that’s perfect for your holiday romance cravings. 

The Flats, Kate Birdsall

Craving a good murder mystery with queer protagonist? The Flats is perfect for any fan of crime fiction with its compelling characters and easy readability. It’s hard to put this book down once you start it. 

The Legend of Holly Claus, Brittney Ryan

This book is the novelization of the children’s book by the same name, and perfect for anyone who loves fairytales. The Legend of Holly Claus pulls from The Snow Queen and several other fairy tales to spin a story of heartwarming love that any age can enjoy. The children’s book features stunning illustrations, some of which are included in the novel version. 

Spinning Silver, Naomi Novik

Naomi Novik is a brilliant author, and every story she tells is compelling from start to finish. This fairytale retelling of Rumpelstiltskin is dark, romantic and the perfect read for a snowy night. Once you start reading, it’s hard to stop because the storytelling is just that beautiful. 

East, Edith Pattou

Wintertime is the perfect time for fairytale retellings, so here’s another one. East is a retelling of several stories, pulling elements from Beauty and the Beast, the legend of Cupid and Psyche, and The Snow Queen. The imagery is incredible, the storytelling flows, and it has a sequel that is just as beautiful. 

The Beekeeper’s Apprentice, Laurie R. King

This series is incredibly hard to put down, but each book can stand on its own. The series follows Mary Russell, a young scholar who finds herself apprenticed to Sherlock Holmes. The characters and the author’s research are the star of this book (and series) and if you’ve binged Sherlock several times, it’s the perfect new view of the iconic character for you. 

Chronicles of a Radical Hag, Lorna Landvik

When beloved small-town newspaper columnist Haze Evans suffers a stroke, the editor of the newspaper and her estranged son begin to reprint her columns as a way to connect and heal their community. Through this experience, mother and son are brought back together and new relationships in the town are formed. Complete with recipes you can try yourself, this story unfolds like magic and has the warmth of a Hallmark movie (without the corniness). 

The Practical Magic Series, Alice Hoffman

This series was just completed last month with the release of the fourth and final book. Practical Magic is a story about sisterhood, witchcraft, healing, and love. You’ve probably heard the iconic line from the movie on TikTok, “There are some things I know for certain: always throw spilled salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can.” Over the last two decades, the author has filled in the story of the love-cursed Owens family through two prequels and a sequel, each with rich characters and writing that will make you laugh and cry with every page. 

Whether you’re drawn to a mystery or a fairytale retelling, there’s something on this list for every

Hi! My name is C, I'm originally from Oregon and came to MSU to pursue my passions: fencing, gymnastics, theater, and writing. In addition to writing for HerCampus, I'm an avid fanfiction author/reader and also write plays and novels. When not on the fencing strip with the MSU Fencing team, I'm nose-deep in a good book or painting some wild art. Follow me on instagram @c.rosewidmann to see pictures of my furbabies.