COVID-Safe Things To Do With Your Friends This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

With millions of Americans fully vaccinated and millions more registered for a vaccine, it is safe to say we are finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. With that being said, COVID-19 is not gone yet. We all want to have the best summer ever after such a long year and a half, but we must remain safe while doing so. We want memories this summer, not super-spreader events! Here are four fun things you can do with your friends this summer while staying safe! 

Go for a hike.

This is the perfect summer activity! Find a local, state, or national park near you and meet your friends for a day out in nature! Hiking trips, whether short or long, are perfect for social distancing while still being social. Hiking is also a great way to get some exercise in. Make sure you know your park’s rules before you go, as some parks may have mandatory mask mandates!

Have a socially distanced picnic.

What better way to spend a summer day with your friends than having a picnic? Have everyone bring a blanket and distance yourselves as you eat to minimize the spread of germs. Potluck-style picnics are always a great idea for a group, just make sure to limit the number of contact points. I recommend bringing silverware sets for each person, so everyone can share the same dish without touching the same utensil! Bring your disposable camera and have a blast!

Go to a drive-in movie.

With big movies set to release this summer (Black Widow, anyone?), drive-in movies are sure to be a hit this summer! Get your friends together and park near each other, bringing a radio and camp chairs to *safely* watch your movie. Drive-ins are generally inexpensive as well, and bringing your own snacks from home is super easy! No more paying $25 for a bag of popcorn and a drink at a conventional movie theatre! 

Have a bonfire.

This is the perfect hang-out idea for a chilly summer night! Break out the sweatshirts and lawn chairs and space yourselves out around a bonfire! Depending on space availability, you can string a sheet across a rope, turning your backyard into a movie theatre! I recommend getting a projector and plain white sheet online, as you can find both for fairly cheap!

I hope everyone has a fun, relaxing, and, most of all, safe summer! If you haven’t already, get vaccinated and keep masking up to protect those around you. This school year has been extremely challenging for us all, and we all deserve a break this summer :)

Grace is a Zoology major with a pre-veterinary concentration. She plans on becoming a Zoo Veterinarian, preferably at Disney's Animal Kingdom or the Australia Zoo. She enjoys activism, exploring nature, thrifting, and consuming excessive amounts of iced coffee. Grace likes to paint, watch anime, take care of plants, and obsess over frogs, cats, raccoons and possums in her free time.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.