Channeling My Inner Elle Woods for the Spring Semester

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

To kick off fall semester, one of the first activities the Residential Halls Association (RHA) and University Activities Board (UAB) of Michigan State University hosted was a Spartan movie night, featuring “Legally Blonde.” After the movie viewing, I was inspired by Elle Woods, the main character, but failed to channel her spirit last semester. Not only is she lovable for her hyper-femininity and witty retorts, but she is a role model prioritizing education, self-love/self-care, and kindness. Here are three ways I’ve been channeling Elle’s energy in the new semester:

1. “I don’t need backups, I’m going to Harvard”– Elle Woods: Having confidence in yourself and your ability to succeed.

When I start a new semester with difficult classes and a suddenly daunting to-do list, it is easy to will myself into believing that I may not have “what it takes.” Thoughts of failure, uncertainty, and unrealistic expectations spiral around in my head. However, as I analyzed “Legally Blonde” and Elle Woods’s behaviors, I noticed that she never once doubted herself. Regardless of her professor and classmates’ skepticism, Elle pivoted her attention to learning, getting work done, and not letting doubt overtake her drive for success. Setting small goals for myself, eliminating negative self-talk, and experimenting with new ways of studying were just some of the actions I took toward channeling this Elle Woods value. 

1. “Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don’t shoot their husbands, they just don’t”– Elle Woods: Prioritizing self-love and self-care, even when you feel overwhelmed.

Whether it’s rolling out of bed to get to an 8 a.m. or taking a 10 minute night shower after a long study session, I struggled with prioritizing self-care last semester. Throughout “Legally Blonde,” Elle is seen getting her nails and hair done, as well as exercising regularly, among other self-care practices. Although she is enrolled in a rigorous law curriculum, she designates time for herself and her wellbeing. One of my favorite scenes from the movie is a shot of Elle on an elliptical while studying a law book: the true definition of multitasking. To implement this value for the new semester, I’ve been frequenting the gym to destress, as well as allotting myself sufficient time to sleep and mentally recover for the next day’s classes. 

1. “Remembering that first impressions are not always correct. You must always have faith in people, and, most importantly, you must always have faith in yourself”– Elle Woods: Recognizing that kindness is a two-way street.

I believe that kindness is a two-way street. What I mean by this is that you will receive the love, kindness, and energy that you are willing to give out to the world. In “Legally Blonde,” Elle’s positive energy and kindness are infectious. She consistently compliments various characters, helps her nail tech to overcome an abusive relationship, and ends up befriending an initial enemy classmate, Vivian Kensington. We see her positive energy come full circle when she graduates law school with high honors, maintains her lifelong friendships, and lands a job at a top Boston law firm. In any case, I’ve been focusing on complimenting others more frequently, sparking spontaneous friendly conversations, and showing gratitude toward my support system of friends and family. 

All in all, I think that my campaign to channel my inner Elle Woods has initiated an optimistic shift in my personality and thinking. Embarking on this journey has encouraged me to have confidence in myself and my capacity for success, to prioritize self-love, and to recognize that kindness is a two-way street. I hope that you found this article valuable and are able to integrate my takeways, as well as your own, from “Legally Blonde” into your life beginning this semester. 

“Being true to yourself never goes out of style” – Elle Woods

Eliana Hollis is a first-year nursing major at Michigan State University. She began writing for HerCampus MSU in January 2024. She aspires to become a women's health or neonatal nurse practitioner. In her free time, she enjoys crocheting, reading/writing, practicing piano, and playing tennis.