Style > Fashion

Can’t Find Cute Petite Clothing? Here Are 6 Brands That’ll Change That

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

To all my 5’4 and under ladies out there, this article is for you. Have you ever found it hard to shop for clothing that fits your stature? Have you ever ordered dresses or skirts online just to find that they fall at least 6 inches longer than they did on the model? Or have you ever tried on shirts that fit weirdly because it’s designed for a torso double your size? As someone who is 5’1, I can confidently say that I have been in these situations more times than I can count. While there is the occasional outfit that isn’t specifically designed for petite women that actually does fit properly, that is a chance we sometimes don’t want (or don’t have the time) to find it. Here are some brands that have reliable, large ranges of petite clothing.  

1.     ASOS

This is one of my favorite online stores to shop at. Unlike some of the brands on this list, ASOS offers petite options for nearly every category of clothing they sell – shirts, dresses, pants, you name it. Also, there aren’t just a few items for sale – ASOS’s petite sections offer a very large variety with lots of super cute and fashionable options. I’ve found the clothing from this brand to be good quality and pretty reasonable pricewise. They also offer a 10% student discount! 

2.     PrettyLittleThing

While there are lots of cute online retail stores out there (think Princess Polly or Boohoo), I have had the best luck with PrettyLittleThing. They have tons of really cute and fashionable items, and just like ASOS, their petite lines are extensive and just as fashionable as the regular lines. Now, this is a fast fashion brand and so I wouldn’t recommend shopping here all the time. However, if you are in a pinch and need a cute outfit for cheap, this may be your go-to place. There have been a few times I’ve ordered where the quality wasn’t as good as I would have hoped, but for the price I paid it was decent. Plus, the bag that the items ship in is pink with purple unicorns on it – who wouldn’t want to see that show up at their door? 

3.     Loft

Do you have an interview coming up or a job that requires business casual attire? Loft has high quality business casual clothing that is perfect for these occasions. While this is typically not a brand that is thought of as a store for college-aged women, I would not take it off your radar especially if you are looking for petite business casual styles. This store does run on the more expensive side, but the quality is great. 

4.     Madewell

While Madewell sells a variety of different clothing items, they are most well-known for their jeans. These jeans are certainly not cheap though, with full price typically running anywhere between $98-$138. However, they are very good quality and there are lots of cute options to choose from. Try to catch your favorite pair on sale or add some to your birthday or holiday wish list! 

5.     American Eagle

American Eagle offers reasonable prices for high quality items. While they sell a variety of different clothing items, I want to focus on their jeans for this article. The jeans I’ve gotten from here are by far my favorite in terms of fit, comfort, and quality. I don’t plan on getting jeans anywhere else. While American Eagle does not have a specific “petite” section of jeans, they do offer a “short” option for each of their jean sizes. I also really like American Eagle because they have done a lot of work in expanding their sizes and clothing lines such that people of all body sizes and shapes can find cute options that fit their body.  

6.    Athleta

You can probably get away with wearing cropped leggings as your full-length leggings from any athletic brand, but Athleta is one of the few athletic brands that has products designed specifically for women 5’4 and under. Personally, I have had really great experiences shopping at Athleta as a petite woman and would highly recommend. When you go to the website, hover over whatever clothing category you are looking for, look to the right side of the drop-down menu under “extended sizes,” and you should find an option that says “petite.” Bingo!

Most stores have a return policy where you can try the clothes on at home and then return them if they don’t fit or if you aren’t happy with them, so take advantage of that! I hope that you are able to use this list to find some cute clothing that finally fits your petite stature. Happy shopping! 

Jessie is a junior at Michigan State University majoring in psychology and minoring in cognitive science. In her free time, she loves taking naps, ice cream, traveling, hanging out with friends, and watching Netflix.