This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Supergroup Boygenius released their debut album “The Record” on March 31. Solo artists Phoebe Bridgers, Julian Baker, and Lucy Dacus had previously recorded and released a self-titled EP in October of 2018. 

I compiled my personal ratings based on vocals, lyrics, instrumentation and production on a scale of one to 10, reviewing my favorite and least favorite tracks on the album. 

1. Without You Without Them 

This track is simply ethereal. This acapella opener is best listened to with headphones. Every time I listen to this track, I get chills up my arms. This is a great track to put you in a calm and grounded state of mind. 

Rating: 8/10

1. $20 

With much contrast to the opener of this album, $20 is an upbeat, indie, feel-good song. This was one of the first singles that the supergroup released prior to “The Record” releasing. This song sets a free and young tone for the album. Although this song contrasts many of the power ballads on the album, I feel that it represents the ups and downs of life. Although this track is upbeat and fun, it has a melancholy undertone. I love the vocals, instrumentals, and production on this track. My favorite part of this track is the ending, where the three vocalists are all screaming. 

Rating: 9/10

1. Emily I’m Sorry

The vocals on this track are mesmerizing and soothing. Phoebe Bridgers’ lead vocals paired with the lyrics hints back to her 2020 album “Punisher. I think that this track, although telling a story that is very personal to Bridgers’ past relationship, is extremely relatable.

Personal Rating: 9/10

1.  True Blue 

This track, featuring Lucy Dacus on lead vocals, has a more upbeat and steady rhythm along with electric guitar. The most beautiful aspect of this track are the lyrics: “It feels good to be known so well,” “I can’t hide from you like I hide from myself,” and “I remember who I am when I am with you.” Although I am a fan of this song, I wish that it had a little more depth regarding the production. 

Personal Rating: 7/10

1.  Cool About It 

Delicate acoustic guitar paired with simple vocal harmonies made for a gentle, yet impactful track about loving someone who is struggling with mental illness. 

“Once I took your medication to know what it’s like/ And now I have to act like I can’t read your mind/ I ask you how you’re doing and I let you lie.”

The lyrics on this track paired with powerful vocals make this track extremely impactful. 

Personal rating: 9/10

1.  Not Strong Enough

This was a single released before the album. This single got many fans excited about “The Record”including me. I like this track because it includes all three artists’ vocals in a tasteful and equal way. This track has a catchy chorus and uplifting production that is perfect for spring car rides. Although this song feels like something you would hear in a church choir, the supergroup managed to add an edge and a more indie feel to the initially spiritual lyrics. 

Personal Rating: 8/10

1. Revolution 0 

I enjoy the vocal harmonies on this track, however, I felt underwhelmed by the lyrics and instrumentals. This song feels like a track that was not good enough to be on “Punisher. Although this is not a bad track, I feel like the build of instrumentals at the end of the track did not seem to match the vocals and the lyrics of the song. 

Personal Rating: 6/10 

1.  Lenard Cohen 

This track is short and sweet, featuring Dacus as lead vocalist. However, this track does feel unfinished, and more of a “baby” track that doesn’t necessarily feel like it belongs on this album. 

Personal Rating: 5/10 

1.  Satanist 

This track is more edgy and upbeat in terms of instrumentals and lyrics. This track has a similar feel to “$20,” and at this point on the album, it becomes apparent that these tracks lack cohesiveness. Although this song fits well with tracks like “$20” and “Not Strong Enough,” it feels off-putting following a delicate and unfinished song like “Lenard Cohen.” 

Personal Rating: 7/10 

1.  We’re in Love 

This track is very simple and delicate, but I personally enjoy it. The gentle guitar and piano mixed with Dacus’ angelic vocals make for a beautiful song. I would have enjoyed this track more if Bridgers and Julian Baker’s harmonies came in sooner rather than only in the last part of the track. This is definitely a song to cry to after a heartbreak.

Rating: 8/10 

1. Anti-Curse

I really enjoyed the vocals on this track paired with more intense instrumentals compared to the previous tracks. However, I wish it would lead to a more impactful ending. This song feels like it had an abrupt ending that left me wanting more. 

Rating: 7/10

1. Letter To An Old Poet

The beautiful vocals paired with a smooth build up and progression of intensity creates an ideal introduction to this track. This track has an essence of “Punisher” with a collaborative feel that makes this a great final track for the album. Additionally, the production on this track leads to a powerful and beautiful resolve. 

Rating: 8/10 

Final Thoughts and Overall Rating: 

Overall rating : 7.5/10 

While I enjoy individual tracks on this record, I wish that the album was more cohesive. To me, it feels like the three artists each had songs that they wanted on the album rather than collaborating on each track. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but I would have liked to see more cohesiveness on this album.

Emma George-Griffin has been a staff writer for the Michigan State University Chapter of Her Campus since fall of 2022. George-Griffin is Senior at Michigan State University Studying Journalism with a concentration in writing, reporting and editing, and a minor in Documentary Production. She plans on earning her bachelor degree from Michigan State University in the spring of 2025, and plans to earn her Masters degree from the University in the winter of 2026. When she isn't working or in class, George-Griffin enjoys spending time in nature, reading Tarot, and painting.