Life > Experiences

Beyond Grand River: Off-Campus Living As A Transfer Student

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Housing is a significant consideration in college and is often stressful for students and families. As a freshman at Western Michigan University, I lived on campus; halfway through, I decided to apply to transfer to Michigan State University (MSU). My acceptance letter came about midway through May. When MSU communicated that on-campus living would not be possible for me, I began the grueling apartment-hunting process.

After consideration of location, price, roommates, amenities, and time, I signed a lease at The Village at Chandler Crossings with three roommates whom I met over the Michigan State Spartans Roommate Search Class of 2026 MSU page. Facebook is an excellent resource for finding roommates if you don’t know anyone, there are always people looking for roommates. As we move closer to the end of the Fall semester and I have had time to acclimate to my new surroundings, I have had time to reflect on the factors that went into my decision. 

Factors:

1. Price 

Price was a huge factor in my housing decision. Compared to Kalamazoo, housing in East Lansing, specifically near campus, is much more expensive. Deciding between price and location was stressful. I did not want to miss out on opportunities due to my location, but I also did not have the means to pay around $800 and up for rent. My base rent for The Village is $490 plus utilities. This price is the cheapest option I saw while looking for apartments. Most places to live closer to campus range from $700 to $1000 and more. 

2. Amenities

There were crucial amenities that I was looking for while apartment hunting—some of those included in-unit washers and dryers, dishwashers, and air-conditioning. I also preferred my own bedroom and bathroom, but I was flexible as we were looking. My apartment had all the amenities I wanted, including my own bedroom and bathroom. Some extra things that were included that I hadn’t considered were that it came furnished (with a TV), semester bus passes (provided at no additional cost), bus stop close by, key-fobs for the outer doors to the apartment, free parking, pets are allowed (extra fee), and a 24-hour gym. 

3. Location

Location is what I struggled with the most. I would have loved to be closer to campus. The Village is about a 10-minute drive from campus, a 25-30 minute bus ride to the CATA bus station (last stop in route), and a 15-minute bus ride to Grand River. I have to allocate a reasonable amount of time to commute to my classes, which can sometimes be frustrating and inconvenient. Even though I am a bit far from campus, I don’t feel disconnected from the MSU community, as The Village primarily comprises students. Additionally, there are grocery stores and a dog park 5 minutes away from the complex. Although the location is not the most ideal, I don’t feel like it is a dealbreaker considering everything else.

In addition to the factors I considered, my overall experience at the Village has been a positive one. Especially as a transfer student who didn’t know anyone upon coming to Michigan State, I had a fear that I would not feel connected to campus because of the location of The Village and being off-campus in general – luckily, I have been proven wrong. My roommates and I will be resigning our lease for next year. 

There will be pros and cons wherever you live and many things to consider when finding housing. It is a stressful, tedious, and scary process, but rewarding in the end!

Macy Mueller is a transfer student who joined the Spartans this year and is currently a staff writer and recently joined the Eboard for the Events Team for the Her Campus chapter at MSU this fall semester. Mueller is a sophomore at Michigan State University studying marketing. Before Michigan State, Mueller was a marketing assistant for Western Michigan Libraries and is now a barista at a local coffee shop in Lansing. She hopes to continue to improve her writing skills while with Her Campus at MSU. Mueller’s favorite pastimes include checking out local bookstores, cheering on the Detroit Lions, trying weird latte flavor combos, and attempting to play guitar.