Style > Fashion

Best Met Gala Looks Through the Years

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

The first Monday in May marks a special day for fashion lovers across the globe. It’s the annual Met Gala hosted by the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Overseeing the gala is Vogue Editor in Chief Anna Wintour. 

The gala has put out some of fashion’s most unique looks. Here are some of my favorite designs that have graced the red carpet. 

Kacey Musgraves (2019) 

This country singer wore a pink-inspired Barbie look created by Moschino designer Jermey Scott to go along with the whimsical theme Camp: Extra points for on theme fashion. 

Zendaya (2018) 

Following the theme Heavenly Bodies: Fashion and the Catholic Imagination, she stepped out in a look inspired by Joan of Arc in a silver metal look designed by Versace. The movie star also wore Jimmy Choo heels and jewelry by Tiffany & Co. 

Rihanna (2015) 

The superstar wore a beautiful yellow fur-trimmed cape created by Chinese fashion designer Guo Pei that ended up taking two years to make, the singer said. The look was done to go with the theme China: Through the Looking Glass. 

Gisele Bundchen (2003) 

The supermodel wore a beautiful blue gown designed by Dolce and Gabbana for the 2003 theme Goddess: The Classical Mode. This was her first time attending the event. 

Iman (1997) 

Another supermodel who graced the red carpet wearing a gold metallic coat with fur-trim.To go along with her outfit, she wore a white dress embellished with diamonds and a sparkling tiara to top it off. The theme for the event was Gianni Versace and she wore a dress by none other than the fashion icon himself. 

The Met Gala shows off some of the most stunning looks created by a designer. These outfits really defined the beauty of fashion. These are some of my favorite looks and I can’t wait to see this year’s gowns on the red carpet. 

Liz Thomas is a current junior at Michigan State University studying journalism. She enjoys working out, reading, watching tv, and shopping. She loves fashion and hopes to have a career in the retail industry.