This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

On March 12 of 2022, the Annie Awards will go live via a virtual presentation and will reveal their category winners for this year in animation. The Annie Awards often try to feature the best of the best in animation on both the cinematic and small screens. They have been seemingly controversial in the past, creating Academy Award upsets which had sparked year-long boycotts by one or two of the major animation companies. But if any awards ceremony should be boycotted this year, that honor goes to the Oscars. 

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences had a slight uproar during the planning of announcements as they demoted many animation awards along with other behind-the-scenes recognitions to before the televised broadcast. This is a real kerfuffle because everyone knows that during this time people will just be gossiping about which dress looked better on who. Although, let’s be honest, those fashion reporters were probably writing up their opinions even when these awards were on television. This kerfuffle was brought to my attention because it was announced that sound engineer Tom Fleischman would resign from the Academy over his outrage. Of course, I had no idea who Fleischman was, but since the “Oscars” was mentioned, this story is on my radar. 

The Annies, brought to you by the LA branch of the International Animated Film Association, are a different accolades banquet, but the incident at the Academy also affects them due to the possible global name recognition it can bring to films featured at both ceremonies. 

Disclosure: You may notice a number of animations on this list that are foriegn-created, BIPOC-created, female-created and more. Industry experts can show appreciation with annual skill awards, but audiences can also miss movies and tv shows that are worthwhile, and I am certainly one of them.    

My “I SHOULD REALLY WATCH THESE” List:

Cats Don’t Dance

The Road to El Dorado

Klaus

Ernest & Celestine

I Lost My Body

Osmosis Jones

Anomalisa

Dinosaur

The Illusionist 

The Red Turtle

The Big Bad Fox and Other Tales

I’m a bit surprised that I never saw these movies; they’re always on my list to watch:

Song of the Sea 

Frankenweenie

Fantasia 2000

Isle of Dogs

Spiderman: Into the Spider-Verse  

Treasure Planet 

The Iron Giant

The Boxtrolls

The Good Dinosaur  

Surf’s Up 

Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron 

Abominable

An excited loudmouth, Celeste often needs to think before she says anything. As a writer, she can get overwhelmed by the composition of thought and barely writes any of her ideas into articles. A classic procrastinator. Please email any issues to rubinoce@msu.edu. P.S. Celeste is no longer associated with Her Campus at MSU as of November 2022. She hopes to continue contributing articles to the Her Campus Media empire when the occasional opportunity arises.