This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Alternative-pop music fans, rejoice: The Regrettes’ third studio album “Further Joy” is here. The 13-track album, released on April 8th, is poppier and dancier than previous works, but that doesn’t make it any less amazing. Frontwoman Lydia Night showcases her sweet and versatile vocals right from the opening song and continues to impress until the last chord strikes. I had high expectations for this album, and The Regrettes undoubtedly delivered. 

“Further Joy” is fun, upbeat, and just in time for summer. The themes of heartache and happiness juxtapose each other to bring the album together beautifully, giving the listener a peek into Night’s thoughts and emotions. Each song has a good beat that persuades a bobbing head and a tapping foot while maintaining a tasteful mix of synth beats and acoustic instrumentals. Little details are sprinkled into each song, like birds chirping through the chorus, giving them more depth and personality. The album transcends the traditional alternative and pop labels to show that it  is for everyone and gets better with each listen. I could not put my finger on what to call the vibe of “Further Joy”, but James MacKinnon for Kerrang! put it perfectly: “cherry bomb punk”.

“The songs deal with anxiety and the realities of the world like relationships, body image issues, and coming to terms with your sexuality,” MSU sophomore Olivia Stachowicz said. “Their lyrics are incredibly raw and honest, which is one of the reasons I am extremely drawn to this album. I have never heard songs that have so accurately portrayed how I am feeling or what it is like being a young adult.”

I give this album a 10/10. It’s beautifully crafted,unique, and each track sends a meaningful message about growth, self-love, and longing. Personally, while I really enjoyed the sound brought by the first two albums, this one felt more well-rounded and it has quickly become my favorite of the three. I anxiously await what The Regrettes do next as well as when I will be able to see them on tour. 

Charlotte Bongratz is the Vice President and Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at MSU. She oversees chapter operation and assists with internal as well as external affairs such as meeting planning, brand partnerships, and recruiting. Bongratz is a junior at Michigan State University studying journalism with a concentration in writing, reporting, and editing with a minor in business. Bongratz wrote for her high school's award winning journalism program for all four years she attended and has several stories published through the Spartan Newsroom. She won first place in the "personal essay feature" category of the 2023 Her Campus Chapter Awards for her story about the shooting on MSU's campus in February 2023. In her free time, Bongratz enjoys crocheting, listening to music, analyzing television shows, and spending too much time on FaceTime with her dog, Louis.