Wellness

A Guide to Wellness: Best Self-Care Tips and Tricks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

We could all use a reminder from time to time of how important self-care is. Taking the time not to run around with our metaphorical hair on fire is vital to a healthy and well functioning life. Below are some tips to ensure you are living your best life— minus the burnout and stress.

1) Get moving Workout!

Studies have shown that living an active lifestyle leads to a longer life. Getting your body moving improves your energy levels, sleep, and mood. Aiming for three to four times a week for around 30 minutes is a great place to start. Next time you are at the gym, try a new workout like Zumba, HIIT (high intensity interval training) or Yoga. Consistency is key!

2) Diet All about balance

Of course we all love a good burger and fries, but maintaining a well-balanced diet is necessary to keep our bodies feeling well. Vitamin D, Magnesium, and Iron are just a few key nutrients you need to include in your diet. Next time, indulge in some fresh berries, leafy greens, or nuts to balance out your meal.

3) Cut back on Social Media

Taking the time to cut back or cut out social media is a great way to de-stress. Don’t want to delete your account? Facebook and Instagram both give you the option to temporarily disable your account for a few days, being able to login again whenever you want.

4) Hydration

Next time you reach for a cup of coffee, grab that H20 instead. The Mayo Clinic suggests that men drink at least 3.7 liters of water a day and 2.7 liters for women. Brands like Liquid IV, LMNT and Nuun tablets offer great ways to make sure you are getting proper electrolytes and hydration.

5) Meditation

Want to improve your focus, lower blood pressure and decrease anxiety and depression? Meet meditation! Apps like Headspace, Breathe, and Calm are a great place to start. Headspace even offers short sessions that are 3 or 5 minutes long. YouTube is also a fabulous option for meditating sounds and breathing tutorials to unwind.

Remember to take the time to be kind to yourself. You owe it to yourself to be your best self! 

Katie is a Senior at Michigan State studying Communications. She loves all things baking, cooking and sports! Her favorite NBA team is the Golden State Warriors. She hopes to one day watch Steph Curry play live at a basketball game!