A Comforting Series to Watch This Holiday Season: Dash and Lily

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Dash and Lily trade their dares and dreams in a notebook that they place in various locations throughout the city for the other to find. Dash is cynical and despises the joy and celebration of the holiday season while Lily is an optimistic lover of the world.

This show feels like a hug. It feels safe and comforting.

Dash and Lily are relatable. Lily wants to take on the world and find new ways to love and connect with it. Dash has a more pessimistic, realistic view of the world, and he always expects the worst from people. They’re both multi-dimensional characters, so the viewer is able to watch them experience a range of emotions that reveal that they’re human beings with complex and sometimes conflicting feelings. Lily is the sunshine character, and Dash is the grump, but the viewer understands that these characters feel everything. 

Having the perspective alternate in the episodes is cool because the viewer understands the events through both Lily and Dash’s perspective. Since they communicate through the notebook and don’t meet in person initially, the characters themselves have to try to see the city from the other’s perspective, and the way the episodes are filmed, the viewer must do that too. 

This series feels like being by the fireplace as snowflakes descend––a blanket wrapped around you and a cup of hot chocolate in your hand. 

Bella is a fourth year student at Michigan State majoring in Apparel and Textiles with a cognate in English. She is the Social Media Director for Her Campus at MSU, celebrating and uplifting members through various platforms. Bella is also the Secretary for the Creative Writing Club at MSU. She is a lover of art, poetry, literature, film, music, and nature. As a writer and artist, understanding and analyzing art as a reflection of society and a mode for social change is something that fascinates them.