8 Things to Do If You’re Staying Home for Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

It’s almost spring break, which means a lot of people are going on vacation to Florida, Mexico or somewhere else warm and beachy. Sadly, not everyone can travel. If you’re like me, you lack the money to go on a spring break trip and will feel extreme jealousy when seeing all of your friends’ beachy Instagram posts. If you’re afraid of feeling major FOMO and being bored on your week off, here are some fun things you can do to brighten up your spring break.

1. Do a DIY project

DIY projects can be super fun, but it’s hard to designate time to do them during the school or work week. Over break, take the time to make something that you’ll enjoy. Go on Pinterest for ideas! As a couple of starting points, here is an article on how to make painted wine glasses, here is a tutorial on how to make whipped green tea + coconut oil moisturizer and here is an article on how shabby chic your own furniture.

2. Take a road trip

No, I don’t mean a long, cross-country road trip (who has the gas money for that?), but there is bound to be somewhere that will make your week a little more exciting just an hour or two away. Visit a new city, a museum, a restaurant you’ve never been to before or some other landmark near you. Go somewhere you don’t normally go for a change of scenery.

3. Read a book

I love reading, but I can never find enough time to finish a book during the semester. Find an exciting new book to read, or reread one of your favorites. Curl up under a blanket with a cup of tea, and take a few hours to read (or read a whole book in one sitting)!

4. Go swim in an indoor pool

A pool isn’t nearly as good as the beach, but dig out your bikini to go to an indoor swimming pool! If you really want to go all-out, take a fruity drink to the pool, and lounge on a chair like you’re in Mexico. You could even get fake sand (although it isn’t advised).

5. Cook a full three-course meal

Cooking can be hard to do during the week, and many people don’t cook because they aren’t good at it. Since you have the time, plan out a full three-course meal and attempt to make it. Here is a healthy chicken parm recipe for two, if you need ideas!

6. Have a relaxing night to yourself

Everyone deserves some time to treat themselves. Get a bath bomb ready, light some candles, put on a facemask and relax. Give yourself a manicure, put on your lingerie, watch Netflix, listen to calming music in the bathtub or write or draw in a journal. There are endless things you can do to treat yourself, and since the semester is only halfway over, you deserve it!

7. Spend time with your family

This is an obvious one, but family time is always needed. I know I’m excited to go home for a few days and hang out with my parents and see my sister. Go home and see your dog, sleep in your room and have some quality bonding time with your family.

8. Catch up with your old friends

If you’re home, get your high school gang back together, and do something fun! Go out to eat, have a movie night, go bowling or go to your old hang-out spot. Maybe even visit your high school (kidding!). It’s always great to see old friends.

Even if you’re not going anywhere for spring break, you can still have a fun time. If you have to work, you’ll at least come out of break a little bit richer and a little less broke. If all else fails, you can binge-watch a whole series on Netflix! Happy (basically) Spring!

Photo by Juja Han

Feminist | Editor | Lesbian