6 Ways to Cope and Mobilize After Tragedies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

2017 has been unforgiving in what seems to be a never-ending downward spiral of tragic events. Whether it being a natural disaster, ugly displays of racism or incomprehensible acts of violence — it feels all too overwhelming to process sometimes.

Comprehending tragedies, especially at the high volume that we have been subjected to them the past year or so, can be all too much at once sometimes. With healthy practices and taking action to help those affected by injustices or in need of relief, we can take these steps to cope.

1. Take time to unplug

Disconnect and take a break from reading the news. The advancement of technology and hyper-speed at which that we can receive information is beyond our capacity for information. It’d be impossible to process all of the media and information that we cross in our day to day lives. As human beings, we aren’t fit to process so many tragedies at once. Don’t feel guilty if you need to turn your phone off and stray away from the news a few times a day. We all need time to process the current events and time to engage in positive thoughts.

2. Center your mind

The inundation of devastation in ours news feed each day can cloud the positive things that also surrounds us everyday. Practice mindfulness and meditation. Remember what you’re grateful for, whether that be your family, your friends, your education, your health, the opportunities you’ve been given, etcetera. Set aside 10-20 minutes a day in a quiet space to meditate and let go of toxic thoughts.

3. Whatever your method of self care is, take time for it

It might be hard to realize this when it feels as if you have a million obligations and commitments as a student, but it is OK to set aside time to practice self care in whichever form is best for you. Work out, journal, bake, paint, call your mom, indulge in some memes, spend time with friends — set aside time to do what makes you happy.

4. Spread awareness

Taking care of yourself is essential, but so is taking care of others in time of need. Start by spreading awareness of issues that some may be ignorant of by using your platforms on social media and through word of mouth. This is a small, small deed that costs nothing and could be the catalyst for someone’s donation or action towards a particular cause. Don’t undervalue the importance of spreading the word.

5. Donations, donations, donations

Beyond spreading awareness, there is so much action we can take to help people in need. Mobilize your grief into action. Whether your donation is monetary, of supplies or blood, you can make an immense difference. Be wary that it is of significant important to research the organization that you are sending your donations to, because some organizations aren’t as they appear to be at face value.

Below are recommended disaster support organizations:

Las Vegas shooting victims:

GoFundMe and text “VEGAS” to 50555.

Mexico earthquake victims:

UNICEF Mexico,  Red Cross Mexico, Oxfam Mexico, Save the Children Mexico, and Direct Relief.

Puerto Rico hurricane victims:

United for Puerto Rico, UNICEF, Center for Popular Democracy, Hispanic Federation’s “Unidos” page, International Medical Corps

Hurricane Harvey victims:

The Greater Houston Community Foundation,  Direct Relief, Coalition for the Homeless of Houston/Harris County, Feeding Texas, Portlight Strategies, Save the Children, The SPCA of Texas, GlobalGiving, United Way of Greater Houston, The Center for Disaster Philanthropy, SBP and GoFundMe. These organizations all provide general relief, medical support, food, as well as support for seniors, children, the disabled community and animals.

6. Vote consciously and show some LOVE

If it hasn’t become made clear enough in the past year, our legislators have an enormous control on the state of our planet’s wellbeing, our public safety (in regards to gun control) and mental health resources. If you’re a United States citizen and 18 years or older, there’s absolutely no reason why you shouldn’t be going to the polls on Nov. 8. Research your candidates to see who is going to take action towards gun control, mental health, climate change, equal rights and more. Our voices as citizens DO matter.

Take care of yourself and the people around you.

Content creator. Editor. Pop culture enthusiast.