Wellness > Sex + Relationships

6 Symbolic Flowers to Give on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Giving the gift of flowers has been a gesture practiced for many centuries. They come in a variety of colors that represent how you feel toward the person receiving them. Flowers can be given for many reasons and on several different occasions, whether it’s for a graduation or when someone just needs a lovely bouquet to brighten their day. However, especially on Valentine’s Day, the pressure of choosing the perfect blossoms to impress that special someone can throw you into a frenzy. Here are 6 of the most popular picks that will be sure to leave them in awe

Roses

You can never go wrong with the classic red rose for your Valentine. It’s common knowledge that roses are closely linked to Valentine’s Day as red is the universal color of love. Early tradition used the white rose, which represents innocence and purity, as the symbol of true love because it is known as the official wedding flower. It later changed to become the red rose. Pink roses are ideal for when you want to express admiration toward a loved one. The color pink is the embodiment of gratitude, joy and gentleness in comparison to the typical bright red rose. If you want to go for a less romantic vibe, grab some yellow roses, which send the message of friendship.

Lilies

This sweet-smelling, fragrant flower uses its scent to convey its message of love. Its bold, elegant shaped petals and diverse color spectrum stand for feminine nature. Additionally, white lilies mean purity and are associated with Christianity, specifically the Virgin Mary. Whether they happen to be orange, purple or pink, there are lilies that are fitting for anyone in your life, as they all have positive meanings. The color orange radiates energy, warmth and confidence, an appropriate choice for an outgoing person. Purple is a majestic color that symbolizes royalty and will surely be successful in making your Valentine feel like a queen (or king)!

Orchids

A flower that represents delicate beauty and strength is the orchid. In ancient Greece, it was believed that orchids were a symbol of fertility because its plant structure resembled that of the human anatomy. Through the years, it became associated with love and seduction as well. In the past, most orchids were a rarity so if you managed to obtain one, this meant that you’d go to the ends of the earth for your boo and that your love is deep and true. Could it get any more romantic??

Tulips

Because of my roots from Holland, Michigan, tulips hold a place near and dear to my heart. In my hometown, there is a parade every spring dedicated to these flowers that signify rebirth and the coming of new beginnings. Tulips are a symbol for “perfect love.” Red tulips indicate everlasting love. White tulips show forgiveness. However, tulips are not limited to just these few traditional colors. They come in every shade imaginable, even black!

Sunflowers

If you want to spice things up a bit, then sunflowers are the way to go. While they are not your typical romantic flower, the meaning they evoke is still effective in sharing your love. They represent cheerfulness, adoration and longevity. Much of its representation stems from its namesake, the sun. For an extra special touch, try mixing sunflowers with red roses to create a brilliant and stunning combination!

And my personal favorite . . . Peonies!

These beauties have bloomed outside my front lawn for more years than I can remember and as a result, I’ve grown super attached to them. Pink peonies are found to be the most popular. They release a light, fresh aroma that captivates large audiences of lovers looking to please their Valentines. Their silky soft petals are the picture of romance! In some cultures, peonies are considered to be very lucky and whoever receives them will experience prosperity and good fortune. 

Show your Valentine how much they mean to you by picking out a simple but thoughtful gift of flowers!

Emily is a junior and majoring in English at Michigan State University.