This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

It’s easy to say that our lives recently have been rocked by the spread of the novel Coronavirus, and most of us are struggling with life being unable to leave our house or follow our normal routines. It’s been hard to try and feign normalcy while we are unable to leave our residences. I know that I have been having a rough time trying to stay positive and I find myself slipping into old habits that are not good for my mental health. For me, It’s been important to stay occupied. Here are five of the most successful things I have been doing to keep myself busy and put my mind at ease.

Staying up to date with online classes

For many of us, the switch to online classes has been hard and somewhat confusing. For the first week or so I had no idea what was going on or how to keep up with assignments when I wasn’t physically in class. Keeping my planner like I normally would and making sure I am doing my homework in the normal time slots I normally would has helped me keep track of my work as well as occupy myself for enough time during the day. It was hard at first to hold myself accountable for my work because of the change of scenery, but designating a work area for myself has improved my productivity immensely during this trying period. 

Taking walks with my dog

While we are under a shelter in place order currently in Michigan, the order does provide exceptions for necessary outside trips, such as walking your pets. I’ve started taking longer walks at night with my dog to get some fresh air and to not run into as many people. After being inside all day taking a long walk to clear my head has helped some of the trapped feelings and stir crazy emotions. I take routes I normally wouldn’t so as to occupy myself to feign exploration. While these nightly walks are helpful for me, I’m sure my pup is enjoying them too!

Cleaning

I know I’m not the only one who has decided to fill their time with deep cleaning their house. Perhaps the only positive to come out of this home-bound situation, my house is getting the full treatment. Alongside being a productive use of time, having a clean space when it is the only thing I see 24/7 has helped my mental health. I’m keeping myself busy as well as keeping some of my anxieties under control while doing so. Cleaning is a great activity because it is somewhat mindless while also engaging your body during this sedentary time.

Painting

My house needed a paint job, and what better time to do it while being kept under lock and key? During the last week or so I have been working on the rather large task that is repainting the interior of my house. Painting is an extremely engaging and MESSY activity, as well as a very physical one that leaves me feeling tired and accomplished afterwards, a feeling that I wouldn’t otherwise get easily while being confined to my house. Being able to get my hands (and clothes) a little dirty while also doing something I know my mother appreciates has been a good, productive use of my time and hopefully the results will show that.

Netflix

How could I make a list of things to do during quarantine without including Netflix? While I’ve tried to keep myself PRODUCTIVELY occupied, it’s also inevitable that I’m going to get in some good Netflix time. Now that I have *slightly* more time on my hands, catching up on shows I never finished and finding new ones to watch has become a task I’ve set out to complete. Productive, no, but nonetheless a good way to pass the time not unlike how I would pass the time if life were normal right now. We’re all doing it, and I’m trying to make the best of it. 

This is a very trying time for people all over the world, and I know that us college students are taking this hard. It’s different being home way earlier than we thought, especially not being able to leave. Trying to keep myself occupied has been my saving grace and I would strongly encourage anyone struggling to find stimulation during this quarantine to try and do one of two things: do something you wouldn’t normally do, or try to keep a routine. Both things will help immensely with boredom or lack of motivation. Good luck, and stay safe!

Major: Residential College in the Arts and Humanities Hometown: Northville, MI
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.