5 Underrated Female Artists You Need to Listen to NOW!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

While Women’s History Month comes to an end, the celebration of womanhood shouldn’t. Here are five female musicians who I believe are super underrated for the immense talent they emit, and I want you to have the opportunity to listen to their music. Some of these artists are up-and-coming, so keep your eyes open for these show-stoppers in the next few years.

Astrid S

Starting off with one of my favorite female artists, Astrid S is a Norweigan songwriter who has a voice of an angel. If you like blasting Ariana Grande in the shower or car, Astrid S will be your next muse. Her voice is sweet yet powerful, and her music BUMPS! With catchy beats and fun chorus lines, hopefully, Astrid S will be on your radar this summer! 

Favorite songs by her: It’s Ok If You Forget Me, Hurts So Good, and Emotion.

Benee

You may know her from her TikTok song, Supalonely. I know that when Benee is on in the car, I am having a good time. Her songs are so catchy and addicting, I probably played her song, Happen to Me, a million times. You can put on her album, Hey u x, and have no skips. There, I said it. I did get scoffed one time on TikTok for saying she’s underground, as she is quite popular in Australia, but I would like to predict that her Australian fanbase is only going to get bigger. 

Favorite songs by her: Happen To Me, Plain, If I Get To Meet You

UMI

To take the pace down a bit, UMI is your gal. The American singer and songwriter is most known for her song, Love Affair, which is how I discovered her. Upon obsessing over her voice, I found her other songs to be certified shower bangers. She only has one remastered album out, but hopefully in the near future she will release more music. 

Favorite songs by her: Open Up Reimagined, Breathe, Love Affair

Delaney Bailey

Found on TikTok, I fell in love with her voice and her songwriting skills. As she’s a college student as well, it’s inspiring to see another woman pursuing her passions as well as getting educated. She doesn’t have many songs out yet, but those that are, are bangers…in the sweet way. Her voice is homey and like a warm hug for your ears.

Favorite songs by her: Loving and Losing, Coffee Stained Smile

Mia Giovina

Last, and certainly not least, we have Mia. While she only has released two songs, they are both in my top 20 for sure. With emotional lyricism about longing for home and nostalgia, she always gets me in my feels every time I put on her music. Like most of the women on this list, her voice is sweet and airy with strength and power behind it. Her music is perfect for relaxing and getting in your feels. 

Favorite songs by her: Sirens, Time Machine

While I am a huge fan of music, these women are more than that. These women inspire me with not only their voices, but their lyricism. I strongly recommend these artists to anyone who wants to branch out their music and find more underrated and unpopular artists. It’s really amazing to see as artists grow their discography, as I’ve seen with artists like Bazzi and Chase Atlantic (more artists I recommend), and it’s more rewarding to see their fanbase grow, a community that’s there for them and their artistry. 

Alex is a sarcastic, cat-obsessed senior at Michigan State University, studying creative advertising with minors in graphic design and media photography. She loves keeping her mind creative, whether that's on a laptop or not, her stream of conscious is always running. She is an editor and designer for HerCampus MSU and loves writing articles.