5 Sustainable Switches You Can Make in 2023

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

It’s a new year, and a great time to start making sustainability a priority in your life. If you’re in college, there are a lot of sacrifices you have to make for the sake of convenience which makes being sustainable almost impossible. So here are 5 easy switches you can make in your daily life to help reduce your carbon footprint and start living a more sustainable life.

1. Period Underwear

If you’re someone who menstruates, you might consider investing in a few pairs of period underwear. They’re washable and reusable underwear that absorbs menstrual blood just like a pad would. They’re great for overnight use and are designed to last up to 12 hours. After they’re full, just rinse out the excess and follow the wash instructions. Pairs of period underwear can cost anywhere from $20 – $60, which in the long run can save you the cost of buying new disposable menstrual products every month.

1. Tote Bags

Not only are tote bags a great accessory to any outfit, they can save you the hassle of shopping bags when you’re out and about. Personally, I have a vast collection of those tiny Sephora shopping bags just accumulating paper waste that could have been easily avoided by bringing my own bag. Many grocery stores sell reusable grocery bags and offer discounts for bringing your own bag instead of getting paper or plastic bags.

1. Cleansing Balms

If you wear makeup, cleansing balms are a great alternative to makeup wipes, which are not only harsh on your face, but also on the environment. Cleansing balms and oils are a great way to double cleanse your face, and the containers can be repurposed if desired.

1. Electronic Bank Statements

If you’re anything like me, paper bank statements get ignored. You can easily switch your preferences to get bank statements through email instead, which is not only more secure but also generates less paper waste. 

1. Wool Dryer Balls

I love adding dryer sheets to my laundry load for the fragrance and extra softness, but they’re a single-use product that you have to throw away after just one use. Wool dryer balls have the same effect without the non-recyclable material and microplastics. A single wool dryer ball can be used up to 1000 times. The average person does their laundry about once a week – so a dryer ball will last you a long time. 

There are many other sustainable products that are worth the cost, but it can be confusing where to start. Check out Brightly to start shopping eco-consciously and find more sustainable switches that you can incorporate into your lifestyle.  

Risa Bhutani is a junior at Michigan State University studying accounting. She is also the events director for Her Campus at Michigan State and enjoys creating core memories for people in the chapter through events. She is a fan of reality TV, true crime, reading, and hiking in her spare time.