5 Small Businesses in Lansing That I Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

If there was one piece of advice I could give to incoming MSU freshmen, it would be to explore Lansing as soon as possible.

If you’re anything like me, you might feel like you don’t really fit in with the dominant culture at MSU and East Lansing. You might find that the neighboring big city is a much more vibrant, inclusive, and interesting place to spend your time.

Lansing is full of small businesses that all often have a progressive nature to their mission statement. Here are 5 of my favorite small businesses in Lansing that you should support!

Coyote Wisdom

Starting with my newest favorite! This is a witchcraft supplies store which sells pretty much everything you might need: things like incense, tarot cards, altar decor, gemstones, jewelry, books, candles, and more. 

This is the perfect one stop shop for any one interested in witchcraft and spiritualism or just going for a hippie aesthetic in their dorm or apartment.

Best of all, first-time customers receive a FREE crystal! Visit Coyote Wisdom now to take advantage of this offer!

Summit Comics

Summit Comics is the perfect store for all self-described nerds out there, and they sell more than just comic books and mangas. Here, you can also find a plethora of DND supplies, including the books, miniature figurines, and set pieces.

There is also a board game section and other merchandise items like t-shirts and decor. Stop in and browse the aisles or graphic novels, or pick a new game/campaign to play with your friends!

Clean Refillery

If you’re looking for a zero-waste store to help you shop more environmentally, you have got to check out Clean Refillery in Lansing! 

At this store, you can bring your own reusable containers and fill them up with soaps, conditioners, detergents, and more. They also sell toothpastes, lotions, and hair products in bar form to reduce unnecessary plastic waste. 

Another thing I love about this store is they sell affordable reusable products that can replace the wasteful ones we use everyday. For example, here you can find reusable bags, period products, lint rollers, dryer balls, and more!

Constellation Cat Cafe

Picture this. You’re hanging out with your friends or roommates, bored out of your mind, with nothing to do. You want to try something new but don’t want to waste money or catch Covid. Why not visit Constellation Cat Cafe?!

Sip some drinks and play with ADOPTABLE rescue cats! I mean, do I really need to say more? It’s a fricken cat cafe! Just check out their super adorable Instagram if you’re still not convinced.

Neva Lees

Last but not least, visit my favorite locally-owned plant store Neva Lees! They have a great selection of houseplants that can bring greenery and liveliness to any space. You can also purchase plant supplies like pots and decor here.

The staff is also super friendly and ready to answer any plant related questions you might have, so amatuers green thumbs are welcome!

Get away from campus and into the city! Today is the perfect day to support local businesses in Lansing.

Hannah is studying English Creative Writing at Michigan State University. She is passionate about art, poetry, good food, and working toward a sustainabile future.