XBadSkincareHabits HeroImage?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
XBadSkincareHabits HeroImage?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Beauty

5 Skincare Habits that Changed my Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Every day there is a product with “new technology” that promises to solve all your skincare problems. The market for skincare is growing and it’s becoming hard to decide what products are necessary or just a money grab. However, here are some of the habits andproducts that I have implemented that have immensely helped my skin to get where it is today!

Give your face a massage

When you are cleansing your face, give yourself a deep tissue massage. All you need are your hands and a little bit of time. Rolls your fingers right under your cheekbones to relieve the tension and help with lymphatic drainage. Then apply pressure right betweens your brow bone with your thumb and move in tiny circular motions. This pressure point is connected to relieving stress that may be built throughout the day. Lastly, move your fingers around your face in slow circular motions going up and away from your face.

Double Cleanse

Many cleansers claim that they remove makeup, dirt, and any other particles that may have gotten on the face during the day. However, cleansers are not efficient enough to effectively remove all of it inone go. It is important to use a first step cleanser that targets lifting up makeup and product. These include products like cleansing oils, cleansing balms, and micellar water. These unlike makeup wipes are not going to drag on the skin and cause any irritation. They rely on using oil-based substances to break down makeup and hold on to it allowing it to be washed away. 

Hand cream and cuticle oil

With the dry winter weather and constant hand washing, it is more important than ever to keep your hands moisturized to prevent any painful cracks or itching. Applying a moisturizing hand cream helps your skin to work its magic at night as our skin turns to repair mode when we are sleeping. Right away you will notice a big difference when you wake up with hands that feel as soft as a cloud.

Use a sleeping mask

If you are like me, I Feel like I never have time to apply a face mask during the day. When you have a busy schedule it becomes easy for masks to feel like a hassle. Who wants to spend 10 minutes sitting with a face mask when you’re already tired and could fall asleep at any moment? Sleeping masks solve this issue! They are  mess-free and deeply hydrating masks that can be slept with! They are like a moisturizer with 10 times more hydration! If you are dealing with dry skin during the winter this is a great product to implement in your nighttime routine!

Pimple Patches

It goes without saying that pimples are painful and annoying to deal with. However, pimple patches solve this issue within 1-2 days. No more of those white cream spot treatments or the drying lotion that leaves your skin flaky or with a larger pimple in return. Hydrocolloid patches work on pimples that just popped by drawing up the pus from the inside and drying it out. These patches also help to prevent any dirt or bacteria to go inside and irritate the skin even more.

If you’re feeling stuck in your skincare routine, consider implementing one of the above ideas. They have all had a great impact on my skin’s health and shine.

Hello! My Name is Lauren Kim. I currently have a license in cosmetology and am a sophomore attending Broad College of Business at Michigan State University. My aspiration after college is to work in a sustainable beauty brand that empowers women.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.